Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dancing on ice 2019

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Since a thread hasn't been started yet....the contestants lined up for Dancing on Ice have been revealed during the last days. You might have missed with the ever so exciting Conservative Party Conference taking all the headlines but if you're like me, you probably don't care either.

Anyway:

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/20**Personal info**/dancing-on-ice-2019-contestants-line-up-rumou...

(replace personal info with 20**Personal info**)

So next year you get to witness:

Gemma Collins: some sort of reality show regular who's claim to fame is being on a contrived reality show. so claiming the Z-lister status of the show. Quote "I don’t know how they’re going to lift me up and how fast I can move around the ice, but I really want to give it a go!". Somehow I don't think thats going to happen. 

Richard Blackwood: another celeb looking to remain on TV after leaving Eastenders. Apparently has played the role of Donkey in Shrek the musical

James Jordan: yes, the Mr Bad Attitude from Strictly has found a job! Big advantage but lets face it, everyone is only going to tune in to see him fall and fail. Then there's the potential showdowns with Jason adding to the tension....

Brian McFadden: has he got some book or record deal coming out soon? At least his appearance fee will cover his drving fine

Saira Khan: runner up of the Apprentice series one and probably its best success. I'll expect her to work hard and do very well as that's her nature.

Ryan Sidebottom: Cricketer apparently. Looks rather like Sean Walsh currently on Strictly so maybe nobody will notice if they swap....

Melody Thornton: another Pussycat Doll. Is there some sort of backstage agreement that there must be at least one PCD member on UK TV at any given time?

Joe Mangle Mark Little : Ah the ever popular Mark is back on UK TV. Serious rival to Todd Carty's legacy of comedy. Will he be better that Cheryl Baker from last year? We'll find out soon enough.

Jane Danson: Token Coronation Street entry. Cue lots of former Coronation Street videos wishing her good luck every single week and lets try not be surprised when they partner her with Dan Whiston (he's being creative director so may not be skating).

Obviously we'll be getting the obligatory Love Island entry at some point...

Apparently they've brought back Karen Barber as Head Coach so with James Jordan and Jason Gardiner involved this might be worth watching. Sadly ITV are sticking with The Gopher and Wannabe but who will they get for the commentator? 

Message 1 of 455
454 REPLIES 454

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122360 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@sheepdog wrote:

Maybe they're taking the line of "don't feed the troll"* so the less exposure they give her, the better it is for them not to get dragged in a slagging match they can never be on top of. 

* which is not a slur on her physical state rather the internet term of trying to win an argument

I'm sure the ITV legal dept is watching proceedings like the proverbial hawk. 

Having said that, she was discussed on Loose Women today. (I hasten to add... this is another programme I never watch but it was mentioned on This Morning that they would be talking to Saira..)

The so called panel were divided.

Denise Welch, who has been on DOI, said Jason deserved what he got from GC as he is a bully.

Another said ITV knew what they were getting with her, so if they don't like it they shouldn't have signed her, Someone else said she was a disgrace, there were children in that audience and watching on TV and she was a pretty poor role model blah blah.

Interesting when they actually spoke to Saira, who was rehearsing. She avoided discussing her much ...only to say that Wes also had a hell of a week with bad publicity, yet he was in every day training hard and getting on with it.

So the comparison was obvious.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 121 of 455

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@sheepdog wrote:

Maybe they're taking the line of "don't feed the troll"* so the less exposure they give her, the better it is for them not to get dragged in a slagging match they can never be on top of. 

* which is not a slur on her physical state rather the internet term of trying to win an argument

I'm sure the ITV legal dept is watching proceedings like the proverbial hawk. 

Having said that, she was discussed on Loose Women today. (I hasten to add... this is another programme I never watch but it was mentioned on This Morning that they would be talking to Saira..)

The so called panel were divided.

Denise Welch, who has been on DOI, said Jason deserved what he got from GC as he is a bully.

Another said ITV knew what they were getting with her, so if they don't like it they shouldn't have signed her, Someone else said she was a disgrace, there were children in that audience and watching on TV and she was a pretty poor role model blah blah.

Interesting when they actually spoke to Saira, who was rehearsing. She avoided discussing her much ...only to say that Wes also had a hell of a week with bad publicity, yet he was in every day training hard and getting on with it.

So the comparison was obvious.

I agree with Denise Welch that yes Jason is a bully. However, 2 wrongs don't make a right. Behaving like a fishwife brought her down to his level. And like him or hate him, what he said about her was correct, whether she liked it or not. She did herself no favours with the general public. Her fanbase will think she was right in her outburst but I think we can all work out their level of intelligence: they're her fans, 'nuff said.

Saira's comment about Wes really says it all. He wants to improve and he did. GC makes no effort and that showed. Bad publicity is no excuse for a poor performance, particularly as she brought that publicity on herself. I presume she has more bad publicity after her outburst. Tough. She should keep her mouth shut when her poor performance is pointed out, irrespective of who says it.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 122 of 455

Cleoriff
  • 122360 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Jason is a pantomime villain like Craig Revel Horwood.

He is employed as a judge. Love him or hate him, that's his job. He looks at the performance element and that's what he judges the contestants on.

Also, to be fair to him, he, along with Ashley, voted to save the best skater last night. Torville and Dean voted for Saira. Shocking decision in my opinion.

Also, and let's get this straight, he did NOT go to the papers to criticise her. He was on TV giving his opinion of all the skaters. He was told what Gemma had said about him. His response was, if she said that,

she is ignorant about my role on the show. The Mail online picked up on that and headlined with "Jason Gardiner calls Gemma Ignorant"

Anyway, Pot. Kettle. Black. She has done her fair share of gobbing off to the press, Twitter and Instagram.

Rant over...Lol

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 123 of 455

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

I agree with you up to a point about Jason @Cleoriff. Yes he is there to judge but I think he is less pantomime baddie and more a nasty piece of work. I still remember his comment to Karen Barber that if her opinion had any value, she'd still be on the judging panel. And yes I know he apologised but I thought it too little too late. The thing is once spoken it can never be taken back. And all the apologies in the world can't make your words disappear. As you can guess, I don't like him. Whereas I do like Craig Reville Horwood, who makes me laugh.

Having said all of the above. I do think he was spot on when he criticised GC and didn't deserve the mouthful GC gave him. If she felt he 'wronged' her she should have had a word behind closed doors not on national television. She only made herself look stupid and without any class.

As for the press trust them to twist what someone says. They're out to sell papers in print and/or online, so why let the truth get in the way of a good headline 

GC talks to the press to keep her image in the news. As she doesn't actually do anything, she needs to keep her face in the press, otherwise she'd be forgotten in an instant.

Apparently Karen Barber has defended GC against the 'diva-like behaviour',  rumours saying she's quite the opposite. 

Whatever the truth is, she did herself no favours with her rant at Jason. As you say love him or hate him, he is just doing his job.

Message 124 of 455

Cleoriff
  • 122360 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Glory1

I don't like him much at all. I think he is spiteful and downright nasty at times. I remember the incident with Karen and was appalled.

In all my years of watching DOI I have never once defended him as far as I recall....

However, this is about him and that woman clown and everything he said about her was spot on. She didn't skate, she hadn't rehearsed, she spent most of her 3 minutes going up and down on that damn ring.

By the way, he is now being accused fat shaming her ....tired rolling_eyes

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 125 of 455

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@Glory1

I don't like him much at all. I think he is spiteful and downright nasty at times. I remember the incident with Karen and was appalled.

In all my years of watching DOI I have never once defended him as far as I recall....

However, this is about him and that woman clown and everything he said about her was spot on. She didn't skate, she hadn't rehearsed, she spent most of her 3 minutes going up and down on that damn ring.

By the way, he is now being accused fat shaming her ....tired rolling_eyes

Oh for pity's sake whatever next. When did he 'fat shame' her exactly. Squeezing herself into those leggings like a sausage bursting it's casing, she fat-shamed herself. She's no idea how to dress to offset her weight. And if she's that concerned about it than make an effort to lose it. And choose clothes that hide rather than emphasise  your weight. Thing is she's trying to be fashionable and fashion is, unfortunately, for the thin. They don't make terribly trendy clothes for the overweight. I know because I've suffered with my weight a good part of my life. But, unlike GC, I strove to hide my bulges with loose fitting, long tops and tailored trousers. I'll never look slim but at least I don't look like a sausage trying to burst out of it's skin!

All this coverage to a woman who's a waste of space when there are far more important things going on in the world. The tabloid press don'tcha just love 'em. They're making a media 'darling' out of a sl@pper angry_devil

Message 126 of 455

Cleoriff
  • 122360 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Just putting this here. I haven't read the article as there is no link to it...Someone put it on the DOI site

Image may contain: text that says "CELEBS Gemma Collins' partner Matt Evers confirms she's skipped most Dancing On Ice rehearsals TOWIE star Gemma didn't show up for rehearsals last week- despite claiming she wants to win the show"

There are also a series of tweets....this one from Gemma to her partner Matt

Image may contain: text

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 127 of 455

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

Well that about sums up what we've both said about Gemma @Cleoriff. Why Karen defended her I've no idea as her partner hasn't. If the story in the paper is true, she should be kicked off the show. There is no excuse for not rehearsing, I don't care what was said in the press. In fact that should have made her more determined to prove them all wrong. Instead, she proves them all abosolutely right. What a fool she truly is.

Message 128 of 455

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Thing is, her lack of practice was pointed out I think by Jayne Torvil last sunday but kind of got missed. Easy money isn't it if there is no contractual clause to do a certain amount of hours of practice rather than a clause for a certain amount of time for media commitments as part of the show build-up.

In one way, lets hope she continues on as she is and it leads to her never being on TV again. 

Message 129 of 455

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@sheepdog wrote:

Thing is, her lack of practice was pointed out I think by Jayne Torvil last sunday but kind of got missed. Easy money isn't it if there is no contractual clause to do a certain amount of hours of practice rather than a clause for a certain amount of time for media commitments as part of the show build-up.

In one way, lets hope she continues on as she is and it leads to her never being on TV again. 

Can't see her changing @sheepdog because her attitude seems to be it's all about her and no one else. She is 'The Star' and things like actually rehearsing to improve beneath her. And if she's criticised for her 'diva' behaviour an excuse for her uselessness on the ice. Oh and if it resulted in her never appearing on TV again, that would be a result.

Message 130 of 455