Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dancing On Ice

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
Just a reminder to any and all interested. Dancing On Ice starts tomorrow on ITV at 18:00.

Personally am really looking forward to it, particularly as Torville and Dean are now on the judging panel.
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 1 of 299
298 REPLIES 298

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122758 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

@sheepdog wrote:

So should I start a campaign to replace Phil & Holly with Gordon the Gopher and a Plank of wood? yahoo

Its a great pity we no longer have a polls function Whistle

Well I'm a bit different. Now I have no full time job I enjoy This Morning with Phil and Holly. That's why it constantly wins best daytime TV show. tongue

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 31 of 299

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

At least Candice has a week to work on her technique. Not sure how it works as I presume next week will see the dance off between the bottom two. (which means they 2nd candidate will have no chance of working on anything?)

Like you I had the app open for voting else I would have missed out. Bit weird really. Allowed one vote THEN I had some palaver where I had to indicate I wanted to vote 4 more times. I thought hang on hang on don't click on anything wrong here. I didn't want to sign up for some charge to mobile service...Fear

Yeah but I think voting through the X Factor app has something similar. Obviously an ITV thing. And I'm also a bit confused how the skate off is going to work; one having a week to practice and the other doing it 'cold'. Next week should be interesting for that alone.

Message 32 of 299

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@sheepdog wrote:

Definitely Perri, Kem and Jake were the best in that order for me. Perri's partner Hamish, was quite clever in working on the finer details that she lacked and the other skating skills will come. Kem's basic speed was outstanding compared to the video trailer showing him to be exact opposite. Jake's partner is rather cute....

Actually I disagree with you there @Glory1, Antony got away with the backchat being week 1 but he and the other contestants really need to reign in their attitude as overall, the judges were very encouraging and didn't deserve the contestants ad-libbing for no good reason. 

As for the show, I'll watch it next week to see the others to compare then give up. Good points: Banjo brothers, Jason being constructive attitude, Jason's awesome bow tie, camera work being less dodgy than Strictly, Holly Willowby's big Doc Martens briefly making appearances under that big flowing dress. That motorbike in the pre-recorded pro-dance was unexpected and why not smiley I wait for next week's one to see "a moment".

Bad points: Matt Chapman is no Tony Gubba (RIP) and I really do want Jonathan Pearce (from Robot Wars & Match of the Day) to replace him. Not keen on this jokey familarity thing between the judges/presenters/contestants as it takes away the formality of what is a competiton. The training rink and the tunnel shots need to be reduced as most of it is pointless. A few minutes to vote isn't great and easily missed and on the other hand, if the tech exists to get almost instant results then why can't Strictly return to a Saturday night show and stop messing up my Sunday!!!!!

No opininon yet: T&D who seemed muted with being judges.

Oh and the worse part is why have a "new format" and bring back Philip Schofield and Holly Willowby who have now become the most tedious couple on TV. And I don't watch much ITV! 

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree @sheepdog re Jason. I don't like him (putting it mildly) and can still remember his attack on the forner judge (can't remember her name) who was a mentor on the last series. I know he later apologised but you can't unsay what's been said. He was extremely cruel and it was totally unnecessary. He was constructive tonight but how long will it last before he turns nasty again.

However, a plus for me was definitely the Banjo brothers. And Dancing on Ice wouldn't be the same without Holly and Philip. As for T & D it's only the first show and they're probably getting used to their new roles.

As for SCD and 'that Sunday show' couldn't agree more. I think it's a ratings game. They pull in viewers for the main show and then those same viewers have to come back a second night to get the results. So the BBC can happily point to high viewing figures over 2 nights rather than just the one night. 

Message 33 of 299

Anonymous
Not applicable

A 2 hour show to have 6 couples dancing ... it's pathetic slight_frown ... surely a pre-recorded 5 minute dance routine by Torvill & Dean could have been incorporated ... although I thought they made good judges

I only know of Perri & I liked her skating, she's strong & will finesse in time

I liked Kem's skating too

It was much too strung out for me ... I do prefer Strictly Come Dancing, because of being a past dancer ... As @Cleoriff has said above on the new commentator ... don't think much of him, not professional enough & he shouts into the microphone

I shall continue to watch DOI with interest 

Message 34 of 299

Cleoriff
  • 122758 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

I am sure the new commentator will settle into his new role hopefully @Anonymous

There has been a lot of bad press about him today. (Though Phil and Holly didn't mention that on This Morning)

I agree there did seem to be a hell of a lot of adverts....

As for Torville and Dean... as much as we love them I think they only came back on the understanding they wouldn't be skating. They are both 60 years old now. (Though Chris said last night he found it difficult to not even be coaching) ..

I'm just glad to see it's back...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 35 of 299

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff I didn't know Chris & Jayne only came back on the understanding that they wouldn't be skating ... they don't look 60 ... & ... as you say, we do love them very much slight_smile

Yes, I'm glad the show is back too yahoo

Message 36 of 299

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
I didn't know about Chris and Jayne's agreement not to skate before being allowed back. I agree neither look 60 and tbh if they're still able and want to skate what's the problem. I appreciate there are risks but the risks apply whatever your age. And I think the celebrities are more at risk then two well practised professionals who have been skating for so many years.

Ànd I agree with @Anonymous a 2 hour show and only 6 skating couples - ridiculous.. They could have had less ad breaks and all 12 couples skating; with the two couples in the skate-off on an equal playing field. I appreciate advertising pays for the shows but it's becoming a case of shows being shown between the ads rather than ads between the shows.

Message 37 of 299

Cleoriff
  • 122758 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

Re Torville and Dean not skating? There are mixed reasons. I read somewhere that they felt they were too old. However, other reports are saying ITV banned them and refused to insure them for the 'sake of their health'

https://www.ok.co.uk/tv/dancing-on-ice/1264104/dancing-on-ice-2018-torvill-and-dean-banned-ice-rink-...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-5224463/Dancing-Ices-Torvill-Dean-BANNED-rink.html

T&D must have agreed to it though, otherwise they wouldn't be on the show....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 38 of 299

Cleoriff
  • 122758 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

The advert breaks are ridiculous. Catch 22 really. You could watch on Catch up...but then you couldn't vote

Just have to put up with it I suppose....:smileysad:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 39 of 299

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
Thanks @Cleoriff interesting articles. I still think it's a shame but if they agreed not to skate, they had their reasons I'm sure.

I agree about the adverts but it's still so annoying.

However, I do wish you had more time to vote; 4 minutes is nothing and if you want to watch the 'refresher' VTR then you have even less time. I thought SCD's time of 35 minutes was bad enough but 4 minutes - ludicrous. Especially if you take into account all the adverts which break your concentration.

Message 40 of 299