Did you mean: 

Covid 19. Life Saving Drug Found.

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122117 Posts
  • 823 Topics
  • 7456 Solutions

Some good news for a change.

A cheap and widely available drug called dexamethasone can help save the lives of patients who are seriously ill with coronavirus.

UK experts say the low-dose steroid treatment is major breakthrough in the fight against the deadly virus.

It cut the risk of death by a third for patients on ventilators. For those on oxygen, it cut deaths by a fifth.

The drug is part of the world's biggest trial testing existing treatments to see if they also work for coronavirus.

Researchers estimate that if the drug had been available in the UK from the start of the coronavirus pandemic up to 5,000 lives could have been saved. Because it is cheap, it could also be of huge benefit in poor countries struggling with high numbers of Covid-19 patients.

We used this a lot for patients with severe head injuries back in the 60's,70's,80's and 90's. It reduced swelling of the brain.

Excellent news.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53061281 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

LukasB
Former Staff
  • 1791 Posts
  • 177 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

I saw this on the news just now - really interesting!!! I hope this changes things. I also read that they are testing 3 possible vaccines.

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 2 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Anything’s better than nothing! Hoorah to those boffins behind this!
Message 3 of 8

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11959 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1119 Solutions
Good news for a change.
And no surprises for the person that found it is also most likely to understand it!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 4 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 122117 Posts
  • 823 Topics
  • 7456 Solutions

If nothing else it just proves the worth of research.

This drug, as I said earlier, has been used for years and years. The first drug we injected when trauma patients were admitted with head injuries. Also given after surgery for brain tumours etc.

The researchers are claiming 5000 UK lives could have been saved had this drug been used at the start of the pandemic.

There again, how would we have known?

A big thumbs up for UK researchers.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 8

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 24899 Posts
  • 798 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Good news, indeed.

Such a large scale clinical trial gives some reassurance that this should be of a real benefit to those seriously ill with this dreadful disease.

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 6 of 8

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35052 Posts
  • 222 Topics
  • 1557 Solutions

I remember this one... dunno why, but apparently weasel-words may have been used in the official government communication about the drug's approval earlier today... 

Screenshot_20200616-214124.jpg

Hay-fever medication as a lad, I think. 🤔

Message 7 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 122117 Posts
  • 823 Topics
  • 7456 Solutions

Just on BBC news "the drug has been in use for 60 years".

Apparently it was first used on a critically ill female with Covid 19, on a ventilator. Her husband gave his approval as part of a clinical trial.

She has just been talking to BBC and remembers none of it. heart

From now on EVERY Covid 19 patient on oxygen or a ventilator will be given Dexamethasone.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 8