Did you mean: 

Coventry wins City of Culture 2021

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122360 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Breaking news ....

Coventry has been chosen to be the UK's City of Culture for 2021. (My home city) Bouncy

The title is awarded every four years and it means the city will host a year-long celebration of arts and performance.

It will hope to emulate the success of Hull, which is UK City of Culture this year. The title is estimated to have boosted Hull's economy by £60m.

The other places in the running for the title were Swansea, Paisley, Stoke-on-Trent and Sunderland.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-42272675

Godiva Awakes in Coventry Cathedral ruins

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 39
38 REPLIES 38

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @Cleoriff  @viridis  @MI5 how is it going with Coventry being the city of Culture 2021?

At the end of Hull being City of Culture 'a Banksy' appeared ... hooligans vandalised it Smiley Mad the police put some sort of barrier around it 

Message 31 of 39

Cleoriff
  • 122360 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous 

I haven't been to Coventry for months @Anonymous  so couldn't tell you.

I'm there for the funeral of my neighbour next Tuesday but I doubt I will see much of the City. slight_frown

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 32 of 39

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143425 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Same old shiz as usual Jane.
CoC is appropriate, but laughable.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 33 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

@Anonymous 

I haven't been to Coventry for months @Anonymous  so couldn't tell you.

I'm there for the funeral of my neighbour next Tuesday but I doubt I will see much of the City. slight_frown

Sorry for my post brining up something which is sad for you @Cleoriff heart

Message 34 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
Same old shiz as usual Jane.
CoC is appropriate, but laughable.

Yeah @MI5 ... ... ... it's the mega amounts of money which is 'played about with' and could be better spent this bothers me ... ... ... I'm no Philistine, but ??? !!!

Message 35 of 39

Cleoriff
  • 122360 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

All I will say @Anonymous  is this. It's a bit of a tragedy that Coventry, City of Culture, needs to have it's once great football team shove off to Birmingham to play football instead of the Ricoh Arena which was built for them. That's a long story and one I won't be discussing here!! angry_devil

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 36 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @Cleoriff 

May I just say that sounds rather quokwifted !

The Castleford Tigers, they've been after an up to date ground for many many years ... imhho there is no money in Cas' for it ... down Wheldon Lane was there when it was CRLFC (Castleford Rugby League Football Club) the strip was black & amber horizontal stripes

As kids we'd go to Saturday morning dancing class then meet up again under the wooden scoreboard at the railway lines end of the ground

Our previous Senior school reunion was in the Tigers bar

Aye all 'R$e about face isn't it ?

Message 37 of 39

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
And we're just about to have a congestion charge levvied on any vehicle entering the city...
I said before and I'll say it again..
One giant campus.
Congestion charge will 100% kill off the Coventry of old, retail is decaying as it is...
No football stadium, no speedway, no developments for the furtherment of the city for its tax paying citizens...
Just line after line of student accommodation, bars and takeaways
Watch as it's slowly absorbed into "greater Birmingham"
Message 38 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @viridis 

The last line of your post is most upsetting

'Watch as it's slowly absorbed into greater Birmingham'

It all sounds like a bit of a tradjedy

The Council's fault ?

In Skipton we blame the Council for everything particularly for the very high business rate tax destroying the individual shops / businesses which were there 20+ years ago when I came to live in the town ... & ... the market has been in decline for years ... this is a town which depends upon tourism ! 

Sorry to bang on about the town where I live

Where is common sense ! ?

Message 39 of 39