Did you mean: 

Coventry wins City of Culture 2021

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Breaking news ....

Coventry has been chosen to be the UK's City of Culture for 2021. (My home city) Bouncy

The title is awarded every four years and it means the city will host a year-long celebration of arts and performance.

It will hope to emulate the success of Hull, which is UK City of Culture this year. The title is estimated to have boosted Hull's economy by £60m.

The other places in the running for the title were Swansea, Paisley, Stoke-on-Trent and Sunderland.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-42272675

Godiva Awakes in Coventry Cathedral ruins

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 39
38 REPLIES 38

Anonymous
Not applicable

Very pleased to hear this for you @Cleoriff@MI5 & @viridis

Say Coventry to me & I think of the cathedral

I have followed online the Yorkshire city of Hull as Capital of Culture as I don't travel much ... = ... brill

@jonsie you mention Bolton for shopping ... when I lived in Castleton, a district of Rochdale I'd go to Bolton for shopping via 2 or 3 buses = just can't think atm ... the 3 storeys of Marks & Spencer was my favourite = this'd be well before my son was born & he's 32 now

Hull, light show at The Deep

Image result for Hull city of culture images

Wishing Coventry all the best slight_smile

Message 21 of 39

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Coventry was also where 2Tone music originated with groups such as The Specials....

Their most famous record ironically was called Ghost Town released in 1981 and was about the demise of Coventry...from what it was.. to what it had become...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 22 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

Related image

Just a few images of Hull 2017 ... & ... the iconic Humber Bridge ... & ... port slight_smile

Message 23 of 39

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Beautiful pics Jane. Coventry has been all over the news today. Still celebrating and work starts on Monday.

(Though they did take the official committee round selected areas of Coventry today)..

Not sure the tour covered the student digs though....upside_down

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 24 of 39

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Hard to miss them
Message 25 of 39

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@viridis wrote:
Hard to miss them

If that's the case then they haven't lost the bid....so go boil your head grumpy chops....upside_down

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 26 of 39

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@viridis wrote:
Hard to miss them

If that's the case then they haven't lost the bid....so go boil your head grumpy chops....upside_down

Merely telling it like it is....? 

Not seen them myself soo couldn't possibly comment. Last time I was in Coventry was to see someone called Godiva.... and although sent there many many times since, I never actually arrived 😂

Message 27 of 39

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Let's face it..... It's a dump!
Anything they can do to improve it can only be a good thing but keeping the money away from the Council Christmas party fund might be a challenge in itself.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 28 of 39

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I don't dispute it has gone downhill badly over the years. However, they have applied before and lost out. This time they got it. If it follows the trend of the other Cities that have been chosen it will be a total bonus, for the city, it's residents and hopefully, like Liverpool and Hull, bring jobs to the region. 

I doubt the council will be pocketing any of the funds, The Culture committee spokesman said they will be keeping a close eye on all the proposed developments and visiting

As a Coventry kid born and bred and seen the results of the targeted bombing of the city, I wish them all the best. I am proud they got it. The judges chose them over all the others so there has to be a damn good reason why....

Image result for Images of Coventry

Image result for Images of Coventry

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 29 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

Lovely photos @Cleoriff ... have visited the cathedral several times in the past ... 1st when studying sculpture at school to see Sir Jacob Epstein's Saint Michael & The Devil seen at the right hand bottom of Cleo's top photo ... lovely to see a link with the old & the new cathedral

Lady Godiva is synonymous with the city innit?

When living in Leicestershire we went to The Toy Museum in Coventry... & ... it's memorable, this was me + my now x-husband & our son

Pleased Stoke-on-Trent didn't get the award ... it had the 1st National Garden Festivel 1985/86 ish (x-husband was part of the design team) ... & ... what's Stoke done with it I wonder?

imhho now't but good can come of Coventry 2021

Thinking of the horror the city & it's people sufferred during WWII

Hope for Coventry ... yeah!

Image result for Coventry city of culture images

Image result for Coventry city of culture images

Message 30 of 39