cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Corbyn outs himself as an authoritarian

Anonymous
Not applicable

Couldn't quite believe my ears while listening to the news while getting ready for work this morning.

The 'free taxpayer funded fibre broadband for all' seemed like a pledge by someone desparate for power.

Putting aside the costs involved in buying up BT Openreach and it's assets there's also a more sinister way you could look at this hence my title.

I'd like to see Openreach wrested from BT's control but believe it ought to become a not for profit business owned equally by the service providers that use it's services, like the London Internet Exchange is.

If a nationalised Openreach were to come to fruition I can quickly see ISPs shutting up shop as I suspect the new Openreach would quickly spawn it's own free ISP as opposed to just providing the access (last mile) network as it does now.

What a monitoring tool that would be!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Well you had the same thought as I did - everyone else would shutdown and there would be nothing to stop the government to govern exactly what they wanted on the "free" internet.  Then just wait for the government approved device to be issued to all citizens. Oh wait, isn't this Communism?

If I get to see a Labour candidate this coming month, I'm going to ask them the question: Would ยฃ30 be better off spent paying for NHS staff to alleviate the staff shortages or giving the people the right to view cat videos?

Message 2 of 9

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin'ย 
  • 10764 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions
Post office telephones and cables state owned here. No commercial radio hence Radio Caroline off shore pirate radio stations.
Prefer commercial. Our previous State owned communications were very restrictive and very poor.

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 3 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sheepdog 

Well there's stuff that has no place on the 'net, it ought to be down to its users and the hosting companies to weed this out.

I'm really worried about the direction the country and the world in general is taking.

Message 4 of 9

TallTrees
  • 10764 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions
I suppose the governments would much prefer state controlled communications as it looks like the "sheep" are getting out of the pen๐Ÿฅด

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 5 of 9

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35779 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1582 Solutions

@TallTrees wrote:
I suppose the governments would much prefer state controlled communications as it looks like the "sheep" are getting out of the pen๐Ÿฅด

Baaa...

tenor(1).gif

Message 6 of 9

TallTrees
  • 10764 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions
Shaun:
love that sheep๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ™ƒ
@pgn

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 7 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sheepdog wrote:

If I get to see a Labour candidate this coming month, I'm going to ask them the question: Would ยฃ30 be better off spent paying for NHS staff to alleviate the staff shortages or giving the people the right to view cat videos?

Good idea, I'll do the same.. and report back

Message 8 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Labour are supposed to be the party of the NHS, so it's astonishing that they're prepared to invest so much money into a project like this. And people seem to forget, that these services were privatised because the state didn't do a very good job of running them in the first place. 

But don't worry comrades, we'll all have the same rubbish service in Corbyn's, fairer, and more equal society  confused

Message 9 of 9