Did you mean: 

Community Spotlight

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey guys, 

It's time for another community spotlight! This time the focus is on @Glory1. Glory1 joined the O2 community in August last year and have very quickly become a regular face around the forum. 

We have asked a bunch of questions to help everyone get to know them better. As always feel free to ask any follow up questions Smiley Wink

What’s your name and where are you from?

My name is Gloria Starr and I'm originally from New York City. Having an interest in, and love for, all things British I decided to move to England in 1969. I arrived by ship in Southampton 30th November 1969. Moving to London 3 weeks later where I have lived ever since.

Why did you join the O2 Community?

I joined the o2 Community initially to ask if I should chase o2 about my pre-order of the Note7 as they had not got back to me. The overwhelming answer was yes as o2 would not ring me. Oh so right.

Favourite thing about the O2 community?

My favourite thing about the o2 Community is the people. They are friendly and fun. Every time I have posted a problem, within minutes I have had a reply. Usually several replies all with good advice which has proved helpful. They have all been very friendly and I have not laughed so much in ages.

Apple, Android or Windows?

Android all the way.

Favourite movie/TV show/actor?

Favourite movie: The Shawshank Redemption, A Few Good Men and Chicago. I have watched these films many times and enjoy them each and every viewing.

Favourite TV Show: Breaking Bad, The Wire and Modern Family. Excellent shows that I can watch again and again.

Favourite actor: Leonardo di Caprio. And not for his good looks. From the first time I saw him in This Boy's Life I knew he was special. And he proved to be in The Departed, The Aviator, Gangs of New York, the Great Gatsby, Shutter Island, the Woolf of Wall Street and his latest The Revenant just to name a few. A superb actor.

Which person (living or dead) would you like have a conversation with and why?

This took me some time but the person I would like to have a conversation with is the late Sammy Davis Jr. To me he was the best all-round entertainer. He could sing, dance, act, played several instruments and was 'the fastesr gun in the West'. He also came back from an horrific car accident in which he lost an eye, and from which it was thought he would never perform again. He proved them wrong. Also he taught himself to read and write having no formal schooling. A major achievement in my book. I would love to talk to him and get to know the man behind the gossip and headlines. I'd also like to ask him why he sang and danced for me when I was a baby in a pram! Yes folks, according to my mum, Sammy Davis Jr performed for me when I was a baby. Apparently I loved it so my mum said. Me I don't remember....😊

Do you have any pets?

No I don't have any pets. Unfortunately my flat is too small. But my favourite animals are cats - both the domesticated and the large cats, especially the cheetah. I love dogs as well and if I had a huge house would have a selection of both. Umm.....not the cheetah as that could be dangerous 😄

Whats your favourite meal?

My favourite meal is any pasta dish though I'm partial to lasagne. But made the New York way not the British way - sorry.

Whats your favourite book?
The Stand and It by Stephen King
Noble House by James Clavell
Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

I have read all these books at least 5 times and they are all in my Kindle to read again.

Whats your favourite sport?

Favourite sport: though I love football American and British, my favourite is still baseball. I grew up a Dodger fan introduced to the game and team by my mum who grew up in Brooklyn. I add the latter bit of info about my late mum as the Dodgers were the Brooklyn Dodgers before they moved to LA. I followed and supported the Dodgers until I left for England. Also supported the Mets as they are a New York team and was thrilled when they won the World Series in 1969. No printable comment (in the Community) on the Yankees. Let's just say I don't like them....😠

Future developments in mobile tech your looking forward to?

The future developments in tech I'm looking forward to is the Galaxy Note 8 preferably not given to exploding or bursting into flame. But including the outstanding features in the defunct Note7.

Hobbies besides mobile?

My hobbies apart from mobile are:

An avid reader,

Love films and have an ever growing collection,

Love TV with an ever growing collection of TV box sets of Sky shows which as I don't and won't have Sky is the only way I get to watch them,

Love watching TV and record and stream many TV shows (the latter via catch up services and Amazon Prime Video),

And playing games on my mobile and Kindle. I have hundreds (and I do mean 100s) on my Kindle. I didn't realise just how many until I got my new Kindle and download my games from the Cloud - shocker! But playing games keeps my mind active very important at my age.

So we come to the end. I hope my answers have given you some idea of who I am. Any questions please feel free to ask.

Awesome thanks for sharing Gloria! If anyone has any follow up questions feel free to post them below wink

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 53
52 REPLIES 52

Anonymous
Not applicable

What do you like about London @Glory1 & living in UK generally ?

Message 21 of 53

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
Oh my how to explain without going on and on and ......

What I love about London is the variety of entertainment, culture and history. Because I live just North of the Thames travel is easy and plentiful. A great choice of buses and tube lines and rail as well. Funnily enough I never did the touristy things when I arrived as I need to get a job and a home. But I did it all when my mum used to visit

What I love about the UK, like the o2 Community, people have made me feel welcome and never treated me as a stranger. You don't know what that meant to me particularly when I moved 3,000 miles to make a new home in a new country (well new to me anyway).

People, when they meet me, tend to think I'm British and are quite surprised to learn I'm American. I take that as a compliment. This is my home now and always will be.

One thing I didn't have any problems with money. Remember I arrived prior to decimalisation. Because I came by ship, one of the barmen got me to change all my money and went through the various coins with me. So I was an old hand with shillings, six pence pieces snd 10 bob notes by the time we docked. A Godsend I can tell you.
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 22 of 53

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

@Glory1 wrote:
I love Juice Jam @Marjo but haven't played it in a while. I'm playing a similar game on my Kindle called Cookie Cats which I find addictive.

Cookie Cats, Cookie Cats! I've played it too and got stuck at some point and then gave up. Maybe I should give it another go. slight_smile The theme tune is now in my head...

Message 23 of 53

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92910 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
I know what you mean @Marjo. Cookie Cats, Disco Ducks and Bee Brilliant are all Tactile games and all have many tunes which they 'sing' after you beat a level. I find myself humming them too.

I'm persistent and when I don't beat a level first time I keep at it till I do. Often why I'm up till 05.00 playing...😁

Of course I'm also up very late (or very early depending on your point of view) watching my recordings/films/TV boxsets, reading or listening to music. I'm very much a night person not so much a morning person. In fact, definitely not a morning person except Thursdays when I go shopping. Then I'm up early to avoid the crowds later in the day.

Message 25 of 53

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92910 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Mornings, afternoons, weekends, these days they are all the same to me. One day rolls into another and if you were to ask me what day it is, I would simply say who do ManU play next....then its a weekend normally....

Message 26 of 53

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Mornings, afternoons, weekends, these days they are all the same to me. One day rolls into another and if you were to ask me what day it is, I would simply say who do ManU play next....then its a weekend normally....

That sounds like whenever I'm on holiday. It continues a few days after the holiday as well which can be a bit confusing! tongue

Message 27 of 53

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
Love the song #jonsie and the game. I have loads of solitaire games on my Kindle. They're created by Difference Games LLC in California which they call Hidden Solitaire. Each level you play is either Klondike, Pyramid or Freecell you choose. And when you win a level you open a beautiful picture and gain coins to open up the next level. There is also mini games and a bonus wheel to gain extra coins so you can keep paying for new levels. I am addicted to these games. In fact I'm addicted to all of Difference Games' games which include hidden object, hidden.mahjong, hidden bubbles (a bubble shooter game), hidden difference and match3. And there are loads in Amazon Underground games - games free to download and totally free to play ie no in'app purchases. I've got 100s on my Kindle and I do mean 100s!

Message 28 of 53

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
Yep @jonsie I'm pretty much the same on days. When you retire and don't have to be up early 5 days a week every day is much like another. The way I remember which day it is is based on what I'm watching on TV that evening, if I'm meeting a friend for a meal or drinks and when I go shopping. Otherwise what day it is not so important. And time just rushes by.

@Marjo I bet it is confusing if your 'holiday mood' continues when your back at work. But I do know what you mean. I was the same when I worked and came back from holiday. But, unfortunately it doesn't last and you get back into working mode fairly fast. Oh the joys of being retired and the fact that your time is your own. Love it....😊

Message 29 of 53

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Do you ever miss working? slight_smile

Message 30 of 53