Did you mean: 

Christmas markets experiences

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi everyone,

One thing I love about this season are all the Christmas markets popping up all over. They're so heartwarming, and between the smells, the delicious snacks and either the crafts stands or the fun activities to do, they're so delightful to stroll through hugging

I've been to a couple, but here are a few of the ones I've loved visiting over the years:

Winter Wonderland
, London.

Screenshot 2018-11-15 at 15.52.47.png

Edinburgh Christmas Market

Screenshot 2018-11-15 at 15.54.45.png

I've also been to the ones in Brussels, Caerphilly, Cardiff, and all over London ... but couldn't find any (good) pictures from my visits there unfortunately.

Do you guys like Christmas markets? Is there one near you you like to visit? 

I'm looking forward to hearing more about your experiences, and don't hesitate to share some pictures! smiley

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35231 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

Here's what those sweet "Muzen"  or "Mützen", looked like - tasty, doughy, hot and sweet. 

psslLkoK_5nogxXc-87Hcywg-ztIZ2K-hCE3Hdt3AVB1w593-h790-no-1.jpg

And these were Baumstriezel were a first, we tried the cheese and bacon savoury ones, really yummy:

nrvvonibm5vz.jpg

Message 11 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

Otley Christmas market on an evening was very memorable ... very busy & we were told that if we got lost to go stand by the clock LOL ... got my 1st taste of roasted sweet chestnuts = luvved it

My town of Skipton has 2 Christmas markets the 1st  two Sunday's in December ... I used to go but it is all the same now & the council hike up the stall rents ... these last few years a farmers market has been down the canal basin & is interesting 

Image result for images for otley christmas market

Message 12 of 17

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

All those photos and talk of food make me feel both hungry and very much in a festive mood, thanks everyone! hugging I've only had a chance to go to Winter Wonderland this year, but fingers crossed over this week and next I'll go stroll through a few others ... if any of you do, keep on sharing pictures they\ve all been so lovely!

@Marjo The offer still stands, winter Wonderland is open until January 6th so we have some time left smiley

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 13 of 17

welshsteve76
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 1554 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@pgnI really want to eat those dougnut things, they look delish!! yum

Thanks

Steve
Message 14 of 17

pgn
  • 35231 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

Thought I'd share this little piece I wrote about 7 years ago, on the back of a delightful festive fruit punch we found at a market in Germany one icy winter, appropriate as I have just finished putting one of these on to simmer, now that older family members have returned from far-flung places for the holidays:

---

It's that time of the year again - Dining on-the-hoof

On an icy Christmas trip to the Lion City of Braunschweig in Germany a few years ago, we encountered something that can only be described as Yule Fuel, a very effective antidote to the sub-zero temperatures common in continental Europe around that time of year.

After wandering the many stalls of our third Weihnachtsmarkt in 3 days, we were, it has to be said, well and truly numb in parts that even the Glühwein had difficulty reaching. Flitting past the many interesting items on display in stalls en-route from the Jagd (hunters) food stall to the next stall selling any variety of food, and thus providing free access to a source of heat, we skidded to a stop at one stall selling something I had only previously encountered in Ikea: Köttbullar. Whilst waiting our turn to order a portion of these, our gaze fell upon a bubbling vat of something described on the stall menu as "Nordseelichter", sold with or without "Schuss", a fairly substantial dollop of either vodka or rum...

Further investigation revealed the vat to contain a mixture of predominantly cranberry, blueberry and apple juices, which, when mixed with a dollop of a sticky, nutty syrup from an adjacent pan and served up with a shot of the rum, was the most effective antidote I have found to-date for the extremity-numbing cold (even through a substantial pair of C&A's longjohns!) typical of any Christmas Market it has been my pleasure to visit. Over the next hour, one portion of Köttbullar and two substantial "Northern Lights" later, we happily tottered around the rest of the market oblivious to any of the effects normally associated with sub-zero conditions.

Since then I have tried to replicate that cockle-warming recipe - and provide here the results of my research, for your delectation should we start to experience the Arctic conditions that spread across the UK over the Christmas and New Year periods past: Enjoy!

In a large pot, preferably with a lid, mix:

• 1 x 1l carton of Cranberry juice
  • 1 x 1l carton of Apple juice
  • 0.5l of red grape juice
  • 6 cloves
  • 4 cinnamon sticks (approx 5cm long each stick)
  • 250g of fresh cranberries, if you can find them,
  • 3 thickly-cut slices of lemon, peel-on;
  • one green apple, cut into 5 or so thick rings (cored if you wish)
  • 1 to 2 tablespoons dark Muscovado sugar, according to taste.

Bring all to the boil, then simmer for 30mins before removing the lemon slices.

Leave to simmer for a further hour or so (this concoction will gladly sit simmering all day so long as you don't let the pot boil dry, and remember to top it up with the juices described above occasionally) and then serve up in warmed cups or mugs.

For the adults, a shot of vodka, rum or brandy added to your portion will help to melt the effect of any outdoor activity undertaken in snowy conditions. Served without the alcohol, it is also a favourite of the younger mouths in our family, and it suffuses the kitchen with heavenly aromas of Christmas spices...

Originally (c) pgn0 20-Nov-2011 on Ciao.co.uk, originally published in Ciao Cafe 01-Jan-2010

---

I hope you all have a peaceful Christmas, perhaps with a pot of "Nordseelichter" on the go. Remember, kiddies - Never Drink and Drive, so no tottering about on the golf course after a mug of the enhanced version of this...CheersCrazy LOL

Message 15 of 17

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122380 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

That sounds wonderful @pgn

We wont be having many family here for Christmas as we are dining out....but I have to say I would enjoy that with the vodka added

PS.... I accessed your web archive. Good to see you there... although you look as if you are on a summer holiday as opposed to shivering in the cold in Germany wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 16 of 17

pgn
  • 35231 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

That sounds wonderful @pgn

We wont be having many family here for Christmas as we are dining out....but I have to say I would enjoy that with the vodka added

PS.... I accessed your web archive. Good to see you there... although you look as if you are on a summer holiday as opposed to shivering in the cold in Germany wink

I wondered if anyone would click on that... Yes, the snap was from one of the photos from a beach holiday in Spain one summer, far far away from the time and place of the Weihnachtsmärkten in Germany. 

My other half's preference is for it served with a shot of vodka in it, so much so that this year, we had to do a quick reconnaissance trip around the markets we visited to spot the places we would break for food and/or refreshment at... rolling_eyes  Could've done with one of those camera drones that have been plaguing Crawley, come to think of it... 🤔

Message 17 of 17