Did you mean: 

Christmas markets experiences

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi everyone,

One thing I love about this season are all the Christmas markets popping up all over. They're so heartwarming, and between the smells, the delicious snacks and either the crafts stands or the fun activities to do, they're so delightful to stroll through hugging

I've been to a couple, but here are a few of the ones I've loved visiting over the years:

Winter Wonderland
, London.

Screenshot 2018-11-15 at 15.52.47.png

Edinburgh Christmas Market

Screenshot 2018-11-15 at 15.54.45.png

I've also been to the ones in Brussels, Caerphilly, Cardiff, and all over London ... but couldn't find any (good) pictures from my visits there unfortunately.

Do you guys like Christmas markets? Is there one near you you like to visit? 

I'm looking forward to hearing more about your experiences, and don't hesitate to share some pictures! smiley

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10668 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Hi @EmilieT

I have been to the xmas market in our main town.

This is a photo ~

Bournemouth Xmas Market.jpg snowflake

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 2 of 17

viridis
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions

go to the black country museums Victorian Christmas night, which is like a market/experience thing.
Quite nice time actually, Victorian fairground rides, carolers, and lots of the old shops and buildings open.

Much prefer this than the usual "come eat some German sausage and buy a wooden decoration" kind of market.

DSC01354-01.jpg

DSC01268-01.jpg

DSC01422-01.jpg

DSC01356-01.jpg

Message 3 of 17

Cleoriff
  • 122360 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@EmilieT

I have been to Birmingham Christmas market in the past. Very big and bustling.

Our local area has a council who are determined to be the Christmas Grinch.

We used to have a lovely Victorian Night market in town at the time the Christmas lights were switched on. However, that fell by the wayside when the council got greedy and put up the prices for the stall holders.

So no Victorian nights. We are told it will make a return next year to celebrate the 200th birthday of author George Eliot.

There was also a special market on Christmas Eve. Again the council have raised the prices for the stall holders so I doubt that will take place this year. unamused

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 17

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35211 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

Having spent the best part of this week in Northern Germany, we had a chance to wander through a couple of the traditional Weihnachtsmärkte - I think hot cherry punch with rum, and Heidelbeere-saft mit Wodka are the favourites for keeping the cold at bay. And frisch-gebackene Muzen, with a light dusting of icing sugar to accompany... 🤤

Screenshot_20181213-105656__01.jpg

Message 5 of 17

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
The missus went to one of the proper German Christmas markets a few years back, loved it, and how the area looked like something straight off a Christmas card.
Message 6 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ugh.. overcrowded public spaces with annoying brats clattering into old people, all vying for seasonal items at overinflated prices..

Good luck with that

Message 7 of 17

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

We used to go to the Manchester market until it just became a showcase for all that was German.

We went to the Christmas market in Berlin which was brilliant. It was snowing and as well as the fair, there was a big Ice skating rink which as packed with locals stumbling around. Plenty of watering holes with toe-warming drinks and what passed for hotdogs! I tried to look like i was enjoying it but i was glad when we got to the local bar in Wedding!

Message 8 of 17

welshsteve76
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 1554 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I've never made a point og going to one specifically, but the one in Birmingham my son and I walked through on our way to a Black Sabbath concert a few years ago and it was lovely. The smells alone are amazing.

Thanks

Steve
Message 9 of 17

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

I've been to the Christmas Market in the old town part of Stockholm, Sweden. I don't particularly enjoy walking around in the crowd during dark and snowy winter evenings but this one was still lovely with the red stalls and nice food, drink and cozy atmosphere. slight_smile

I've been to the Winter Wonderland in London a couple of times, mostly staying at the mulled wine section  sweat_smile rather than the different amusement rides. Might go this time too if @EmilieT is still interested in accompanying me! grin I'm not sure if it's still going to be open in January though.

Message 10 of 17