Did you mean: 

Christmas cooking: tips & tricks!

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey everyone! 

The festive season is well and truly here and one of the best parts about Christmas is stuffing your face! yum 

christmas-christmas-eve-dinner-823750.jpg

For those with the pleasure (or pain?) of being in charge of the cooking at Christmas it can be a stressful time with the risk of under cooked birds and burnt spuds always lurking. flushed

This thread is where you can share your best kept Christmas cooking secrets! Have a hack to make sure the Turkey stays moist and succulent? Know any techniques for super crispy roast potatoes or have a recipe for perfect gravy? Then give a Christmas gift to the community and let us know below! cool

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 41
40 REPLIES 40

Anonymous
Not applicable

My mum swears by duck fat for crispy roast potatoes! 

Message 2 of 41

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Doesn't it just appear on the table once you put the magic table cover on?
Message 3 of 41

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@Anonymous I've done roast spuds with goose fat and can confirm they come out lovely. cool

@viridis joy joy very good! 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 4 of 41

viridis
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
What's funny?
Message 5 of 41

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122347 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@viridis wrote:
Doesn't it just appear on the table once you put the magic table cover on?

You must be related to my husband @viridis. Another one who thinks the 'Christmas Fairy' does it all joy

NB: Best thing I ever found was ...ONCE when drunk, I put the turkey in upside down. I couldn't get my head round it when I came to carve it.....however, once I realised, ie sobered up, the turkey was superb, moist and tender. According to the family, it was the best ever.....LOL

Also I NEVER shove stuffing inside the turkey... Cook it separately and that way it will have a lovely crisp topping...innocent

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 41

viridis
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
No, no, no it's not a fairy.
It's the Christmas table cover, put it on when the missus asks, and 2 hours later a meal is created.

That would be even funnier, if not for the fact I'm the one who cooks Xmas dinner.
See it's like this:
Lots of meat = Barbecue = man cooks
Xmas dinner just goes over the meat to veg ratio enough to classify it as a barbecue= man make food.
Message 7 of 41

Cleoriff
  • 122347 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@viridis wrote:
No, no, no it's not a fairy.
It's the Christmas table cover, put it on when the missus asks, and 2 hours later a meal is created.

That would be even funnier, if not for the fact I'm the one who cooks Xmas dinner.
See it's like this:
Lots of meat = Barbecue = man cooks
Xmas dinner just goes over the meat to veg ratio enough to classify it as a barbecue= man make food.

Nah. My other half is a damn good cook, though wont attempt roasts or casseroles.

So stuff your 'man makes food' rubbish....when I am in the kitchen, he stays out ...or else joy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 41

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I haven't had a Christmas dinner for 6 years. Looking forward to one served up by my daughter in law this year....minus the sprouts and stuffing!....and the Christmas pudding & mince pies (can't stand any of them!)

Message 9 of 41

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

Well I'm looking forward to it all, turkey, stuffing, crispy roast potatoes, stuffing and sprouts with plenty of cranberry sauce and not too much gravy and mince pies with double cream, yummy yahoo

I'm on sprouts duty and @MI5's recipe, which I've kept a note of will go down a treat.

I do pig out on Christmas dinner.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 10 of 41