Christmas Traditions!

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Calendar_Sliced_01.png

Hey everyone, 

Christmas is a time for traditions and in today's advent calendar thread we'd love to hear yours! 

Screen Shot 2018-12-22 at 15.38.49.png

Do you and your family have any Christmas traditions? Do you go somewhere special every year or have any unique rituals that you go through at Christmas time? Let us know below. smiling

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Being miserable and shouting obscenities at people who try to be festive towards me.
(This is soooo the truth)
Message 2 of 13

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10652 Posts
  • 118 Topics
  • 344 Solutions
Hi @Martin-O2
Actually I have noticed that the old Christmas traditions are getting less and less. Perhaps a tree, few Xmas cards but not many and not posted as too expensive.
Sending email cards that are animated instead. Few friends bother with Turkey and prefer to eat what they really enjoy rather than be persuaded to buy a large bird most of which is not liked and very expensive. Christmas pudding very traditional but other more refreshing desserts are now much more popular. Christmas cake 🎂 not really popular either. Log fires and snow? Not much of those now either, unless you live in Scotland. Carol singing at your door, gone.
Possibly the latest tradition/ritual is waiting for the Christmas Sales, before, during and after !
Me? keeping steady, join in a little, keep head whilst all about are (maybe) losing theirs. ☺☺☺☺☺

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 3 of 13

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Laughing at @curmudeons responses to these is gonna fast become my newest tradition.
Message 4 of 13

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122351 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Traditions change as you go through life.

When I was nursing I rarely had Christmas day off so when I worked we celebrated Christmas day on Boxing day...

Then when moving up the 'career ladder', my sister and I took it in turns to host either Christmas day or Boxing day.

When my lads had partners we were invited there.

Now, as long as I see the grandchildren over the festive period I don't really bother.

Christmas day we will be having a steak dinner at home. Boxing day, the family including grandkids are off out for a meal.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 13

Titanium
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 42 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I always go for a post christmas dinner walk for around an hour, try & work off some of those extra calories...and see what other people are doing for xmas through overly illuminated windows with open curtains lol... laughing

Message 6 of 13

davethorp
Level 21: Regular
  • 1035 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 38 Solutions

Getting as drunk as possible (once I've finished cooking) is pretty much all I got

Used to have a tradition of ordering dominos pizza for tea on Christmas Eve before me and the kids Mum broke up and I didn't have them last Christmas Eve and wont this Christmas Eve either but I'll get them about halfway through Christmas Day

Also used to have the tradition of leaving out whiskey for "Santa", Baileys for "Mrs Claus", a mince pie and a carrot for "Rudolph" but the children don't believe anymore

Message 7 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

@viridis wrote:
Laughing at @curmudeons responses to these is gonna fast become my newest tradition.

I truly do detest 99.5% of everything about Christmas & I'll avoid interacting with anyone feeling festive.

Only yesterday, the girls (All 16-20 year olds) at the bike club cafe tried to make me smile with their festive outfits... totally not thinking, totally not amused and totally not festive.. I replied

'you'd look better without them'

and stormed off, but not before a cafe full of customers turned & glared at me.. leaving the girls rolling with laughter. rage

Message 8 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 122351 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

As Frank Carson was fond of saying 'That's a bloody cracker' @Anonymous joy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 13

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Every good Christmas needs a Scrooge @Anonymous! laughing

Traditions definitely change @TallTrees I can't remember the last time I saw a proper Christmas pudding! Not one for sending a load of cards these days either. 

It must have been tough working those Christmas says @Cleoriff! In the few years I spent working at the NHS I managed to avoid working any of the Christmas days although did work a new years day once. 

@Titanium We have a dog walk at my families place after dinner. It definitely helps get the digestion started!

That's not a bad tradition @davethorp joy 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 10 of 13