Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cheap(Ish) mac?

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Hello all its come to my attention Ill have to join the dark side of computing in order to finish my application.

I'm not after the best of the best by any means. Just need something capable of running osx mountain lion and Xcode. Post 2008 by the looks of things.

Anyone know a good place to buy a cheap or 2nd hand mac?

I'm not really too interested in a laptop if I'm honest. Unless someone can convince me why they're better than the desktop versions haha.

The mac pros seem to be my best bet but I'm struggling to find any:(

Unfortunately my virtualisation days are over due to having a AMD pc I cannot run the latest osx needed for Xcode:(
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Unless you're doing some serious rendering in video or some complex mathematical equations then cpu power isn't that important. Its mainly code you'll be dealing with - graphics are just incidental - and you'll find that unless Xcode needs to be the latest and greatest, you'll easily get by with an older system. I've done heavy stuff on my trusty old Pentium Mobile 1.7GHz system and its never been too stressed in doing coding. Disk speed is the biggest problem I have being a native IDE laptop.

Do I recall you saying you have your own business? Then you could legitimately buy one and class it as a business expense....though you'd be better off finding someone to do it rather than go through the hassle of configuring a system and all the associated bits they forget to tell you about i.e. someone who's already paid out for a system and has it all working! 

Message 11 of 20

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions

Xcode specs are nothing "offcially supported" pre 2008 so its possible but might be more hassel than its worth.

My registered buisness is electrical id be hard pushed to claim a mac back(considering my pc was done only last year(tax)). Ill speak with my accountant see if it can be done.

Ive noticed from using eclipse (android sdk) that it eats ram like nobodies business so i presume xcode will be as bad if not worse. Appears mac only recently moved to ddr3 and majority of their systems place huge mark up on anything over 2Gb or ram :(.

Id seriously considering handing off the programming to a profesional but it just doesnt beat doing it yourself slight_smile

I think ive found a version of mountain lion that will run happily on my amd (fingers crosed ey)

Thank you for all the advise slight_smile

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 12 of 20

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Don't know if anyone actually cares grin

But i tricked my VMware (virtual box) into thinking it was running an intel pc grin

I'm back in business baby:D

Thanks for all the help though:)
Message 13 of 20

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144198 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27634 Solutions

@Liquid wrote:
Don't know if anyone actually cares grin

Yeah, great thanks. It was keeping me awake at night tongue

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 14 of 20

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Aww I'm sorry mi5 didn't realise you cared so much. Now you can get some sleep wink

Message 15 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
Best 1k I ever spent !

MacBook Air is what I chose to replace my run out of steam windows machine. Took a little time to get used to it but well worth the effort !
Message 16 of 20

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
I have managed to source a 8core Mac Pro grin £650 unbelievably cheap! Way too much power bigger is better though right grin
Message 17 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
You do realise the Mac pro costs about £3.5k for a mid range version?

I hope you meant Macbook Pro.

Anyways. Your best bet price wise would be ebay.
Message 18 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
Whoops... I replied before i realised there was a second page.

Message 19 of 20

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Haha:)

Yes they are expensive but when needs must:)

I can't stand laptops for day to day usage it has to be desktop.
Message 20 of 20