Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cheap(Ish) mac?

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Hello all its come to my attention Ill have to join the dark side of computing in order to finish my application.

I'm not after the best of the best by any means. Just need something capable of running osx mountain lion and Xcode. Post 2008 by the looks of things.

Anyone know a good place to buy a cheap or 2nd hand mac?

I'm not really too interested in a laptop if I'm honest. Unless someone can convince me why they're better than the desktop versions haha.

The mac pros seem to be my best bet but I'm struggling to find any:(

Unfortunately my virtualisation days are over due to having a AMD pc I cannot run the latest osx needed for Xcode:(
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

Always been a pc man myself slight_smile

Message 2 of 20

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Your not the only one but reached a time where I have too 😞
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 3 of 20

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
CEX ?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

sad times slight_frown

Message 5 of 20

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Very good point I hadn't thought of them:) ill have a look.

As pcs go mines incredibly powerful yet apple yet again broke the osx so it can no longer be cracked to work on a amd pc:( so when needs must. I even stuck an apple sticker on my case to make it legal grin
Message 6 of 20

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
The cheek of 'em, eh? !!!!
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 20

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

There I was just about to strongly suggest you use a real-man's coding interface: vi but then I read that you need Xcode to sign iPhone apps. So brings me to two quite possible suggestions: do what everyone else did for decades and still do by not bothering with Apple users or buy a Mac mini: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5768438/xcode-alternative

Message 8 of 20

ComaChameleon
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 2200 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

Apple has some refurbished ones in their store, not much cheaper tho...

iPhone 14 Pro Max * 128 GB * Deep Purple * unlocked
iPad Pro 11" wifi * 128 GB * silver + Apple Pencil 2
Apple Watch Series 5 Nike+ (& Series 2)
MacBook Pro 15" 2018 + Magic Mouse 2
Apple TV 4K + HD
Home Pod white + mini

Mobile history:
Alcatel One Touch Easy * Nokia 3310 * Siemens A60 * Siemens SL65 * Nokia 6230i * Nokia 6300i * Apple iPhone 3GS (used) * iPhone 3GS (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 4S (used) * iPhone 4S (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 6 * iPhone 7 * iPhone XR * iPhone 12 Pro Max * iPhone 14 Pro Max
Message 9 of 20

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions

Quite the locked down world they have isnt it.

Looking around the cheapest i can get a mac pro for is £700 (with about as much power as a wasp). I am impressed at the prices for 2-5 year old hardware though 😞

I guess ill just have to suck it up and get a mini or investigate how much getting some other poor sod to do it for me haha.

Unfortunatly until apple lose more market share its not a platform I can afford to overlook.

Message 10 of 20