Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancer detection:with a pen-sized microscope

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122803 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

The diagnosis of cancerous cells is a time consuming and often invasive procedure.

Biomedical engineers at the University of Washington have developed a new hand-held microscope which could help doctors identify cancer cells in just a few minutes.

Mainly for use in operating theatres and doctors’ offices initially, though it's use could be more widespread. ...

One of the main issues when removing cancerous cells is ensuring no cells remain

This device will be able to reassure doctors and medics that they have cleared it all..

http://gizmodo.com/this-pen-sized-microscope-could-spot-cancer-in-your-doc-1755135759

microscope.JPG

Thanks to @Bambino for providing me with the link

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

MI5
  • 144155 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
Fascinating work !
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 5

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Medical breakthroughs in the last 12 months alone have been remarkable.
I hope it's a glimpse of what is yet to come.
Message 3 of 5

Cleoriff
  • 122803 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

I will be quite open about my personal fascination with this. Three years ago I had cancer of the kidney. The nephrologist  could not be assured that the cancer cells were confined within the kidney...so they removed more of the renal system. As it happened the cancer was totally within the renal capsule and there was no need for more extensive surgery. Had this microscope been available at this time...the surgery would have been less invasive.

(not that I gave a damn at the time) wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 5

jonsie
  • 93176 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

It's incredible what they can do now and medical breakthroughs are coming along so quickly these days. Brilliant!

Message 5 of 5