Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancer Treatment for Multiple Sclerosis patients

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122927 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

I have just watched BBC Panorama and heard some really exciting news about multiple sclerosis treatment

UK doctors in Sheffield say patients with multiple sclerosis (MS) are showing "remarkable" improvements after receiving a treatment usually used for cancer.

About 20 patients have received bone marrow transplants using their own stem cells. Some patients who were paralysed have been able to walk again.

Around 100,000 people in the UK have MS, an incurable neurological condition. Most patients are diagnosed in their 20s and 30s.

Panorama followed the progress of one patient Steven Storey who contracted MS in 2013. He went from being a fit healthy young man to someone confined to a wheelchair needing 24 hr care. To watch him walk, albeit slowly, into the consulting room was mind blowing.

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-35065905

Excellent news which will bring hope to many...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Heard a little bit on this on the radio, such an amazing discovery and hopefully will carry on to reduce suffering
Message 11 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think I could watch this without crying.  My Dad had MS and went from being a lorry driver to being bedridden being unable to do anything for himself.  I was 24 when he died (of cancer that we never knew he had due to the MS blocking pain from the cancer) and he had deteriorated continuously from when he was diagnosed 20 years earlier.  It was heartbreaking - I can still remember saying to him 'Daddy, I think you're walking better today' when he was using his stick.

Any treatment to help people with this awful illness is worth every penny and I hope that no one is denied it.

Message 12 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 122927 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't think I could watch this without crying.  My Dad had MS and went from being a lorry driver to being bedridden being unable to do anything for himself.  I was 24 when he died (of cancer that we never knew he had due to the MS blocking pain from the cancer) and he had deteriorated continuously from when he was diagnosed 20 years earlier.  It was heartbreaking - I can still remember saying to him 'Daddy, I think you're walking better today' when he was using his stick.

Any treatment to help people with this awful illness is worth every penny and I hope that no one is denied it.

Oh @Anonymous that is such a sad story....Yes other illnesses can be masked due to MS. I understand it may be 'too close to home' for you to watch the programme....but it was inspirational ...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 13 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

thinking of you @Anonymous & welling up slight_frown

Message 14 of 14