Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancer Drugs,UK pays 'low price'?

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122787 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

I have often raged against the price of cancer drugs in the UK....which makes treatment a lottery for people with cancer... dependent on where they live.

However according to this report the UK is paying less for new cancer drugs than a number of other high-income countries, states The Lancet Oncology. 

I know the research and development of new treatments costs money and I have no problem with that. What infuriates me is the cost surely should drop once the medication goes on 'a production line' as it were?

We have the formula...it has been tested, found to work ...so all we need to do it produce the tablet or injection

This report tells us

The price figures come from the Pharma Price Information service in Austria, which details what manufacturers charge per unit - a single tablet or vial of a drug, for example.

This is the worrying part....

But although the official list prices published in this report are freely available, any further discounts - which are often negotiated by organisations in different countries - remain confidential.

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-34995895

I think we need to have a serious look at these confidential discounts...and indeed the actual price of the cost of each drug.

Drug companies should not have a monopoly and hold patients health to ransom....

So glad I am able to air this grievance....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well Said @Cleoriff

As some of you may know my dad suffers with cancer ... ... ... prostrate cancer which has gone to his bones & is now called 'progresssive cancer' ... ... ... the cancer was diagnosed just by chance as it happenes ... ... ... but I am very, very grateful to all the local NHS staff / & now local hospice community palliative care people who assist my mum in looking after my Super Smashing Great Dad when my Mum is under such stress herself

Yesterday, dad fell upon beginning his daytime routine, & had the misfortune to fall & his head was gashed against the handle of the wardrobe, it probably looked a right mess ... ... ... I rang my mum, as I am wont to do, after 10am, as this is the time the breakfast things are washed / dried / put away ... ... ... & if I am uptown I ask if there is anything mum & dad require ... ... ... so was given short shrift yesterday from mum re: dad ... ... ... suffice to say that from about 10:30am to when I rang my mum ... ... ... to when I rang my sister's mobile at 4:10 pm ... ... ... well my sister passed over her mobile for my mum to answer as they were on their way home ... ... ... it does seem a long time to be waiting around ... ... ... dad positively hates going to hospital, but he was calm sitting a wheelchair, I understand

Apparently after a fall like this, both dad & mum have asthma, & this can be upset or upset other things ... ... ... dad also has Parkinson's Disease 

Any input Cleoriff I would be grateful ... ... ... particularly as mum says 'they' glued up the gash, no stitches, because they did not want to bring any of the staff off the wards, the ambulance people said dad would be all done in 1/2 hour

The NHS have looked after my family for as long as I can remember, & we all have particular reason(s) to be grateful for it

I am a supporter of the NHS end of !!!

Message 2 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 122787 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Just a quick response re the treatment of glue to hold a laceration together. A practice commonly used now particularly for scalp or head wounds. It is vastly superior to putting in sutures (stitches). Usually holds the edges together very well and is less invasive. Even better... there is very little scarring. All depends on the type of wound ...as is not always suitable for deep gashes. So I hope you will be able to reassure your mum on that.

As for his prostate cancer.....possibly discovered too late for drug therapy to give him any benefit Jane (you know that) but I have no doubt he is getting the best possible care and support from the hospice staff wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think I've been in a bit of a state of denial about possible drug treatments for the prostrate cancer my dad is sufferring from @Cleoriff ... ... ... if I remember rightly, you posted on the forum of a 'new drug' for the condition ... ... ... & I had hoped to contact dad's GP & enquire if it was suitable for dad ... ... ... not got around to it as yet ... ... ... I do know dad is in a lot of pain, with now medium grade morphine patches, changed weekly, on his back

ty for the info Cleo'

Message 4 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 122787 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

You are well within your rights to ring your GP if you have any concerns about your Dad. He may not give you much info about his treatment, as you are not officially his next of kin. He should however listen to any concerns you may have...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

You are well within your rights to ring your GP if you have any concerns about your Dad. He may not give you much info about his treatment, as you are not officially his next of kin. He should however listen to any concerns you may have...

Thank you very, very much @Cleoriff ... ... ... I wasn't sure how to handle it ... ... ... Dad's GP has now taken over looking after Mum which I think is a very good thing ... ... ... I will think about how to put my words together & ring on Tuesday, the medical centre is always very, very busy on a Monday

ty again Cleo'

Message 6 of 10

jonsie
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6956 Solutions

Without reading the link you posted in the first post, I think what should be of major concern is that most of the medicine producers have been taken over by foreign companies. They now seem to have a monopoly so have no need to cut prices, production line or not.

Message 7 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 122787 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Without reading the link you posted in the first post, I think what should be of major concern is that most of the medicine producers have been taken over by foreign companies. They now seem to have a monopoly so have no need to cut prices, production line or not.

Exactly...and as I said this is what Government should be reviewing. All drugs used in the UK go through our Pharmaceutical Price Regulatory Scheme...linked to the Dept of Health...linked to the Government.  The PPR approve the pricing structure.

Look at it more simplistically. Paracetamol can be bought for 13p for 12 tablets from Asda or Superdrug. The same drug under its trade name Panadol will be priced substantially higher £2.00+ It contains nothing different. So maybe we should be looking at removing the monopoly from drug companies. Put it out to tender and see who can provide the same drug for the best price. THAT is my argument.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 10

jonsie
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6956 Solutions

My thoughts for a long time. It grieves me when parents have to beg save and borrow in order to send their children overseas for treatment due to the high cost of life saving drugs here.

Message 9 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well said above  ^  ^  ^  @jonsie & @Cleoriff

I'm not that much good at putting things into words, but you have done, so's I understand & agree with what you have both said on topic

Message 10 of 10