cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I pay off my contract when it has 8 months left to go?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there,

My iphone 4s has only 8GB and it keeps telling me my 'storage is neary full'. I can no longer keep removing apps and deleting emails, I need a bigger memory.

So I want a 32gb iphone. I have found a better deal than o2, with Vodaphone.

I saw on the O2 website that I could 'upgrade' my phone ealry by paying £98 then getting a new iphone but it's way more expensive than the vodaphone offer.

My question is, - Am I stuck wuith this O2 contract till April and cannot be released / buy my way out of it?

Cos I've gone and got a new iphone from V/phone with the great new contract already (I know I can return it but what a palava) 

Can anyone help please?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143435 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Just pay off what you owe O2 and walk away.
You can probably sell your current phone to help towards the costs but I suggest you get it unlocked first as it will be more attractive
http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/Unlocking-an-O2-phone-to-use-a-different-SIM-ca...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 12

jonsie
  • 92919 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

You can pay off your contract in full with O2 to leave or if Refresh just pay off the handset.

Message 3 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your reply.

I am unclear whetyher I can jsut walk away?

Happy to pay the £98 and walk away but I'm unclear - Am I paying off the price of the iphone 4s? Or am I paying off to effectively terminate the contract?

Message 4 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a similar query.  I currently pay £18 for the o2 tarrif, and £10 for the handset.  I have £70 left to pay off the phone, if I want to upgrade, but I am still bound to O2 until next March I think. Does anyone know if this is right? 

Message 5 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay, Grandmaster - i'll have another look on the website.

-Do you know where I go to terminate/pay off the contract please? 

Message 6 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122363 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions
Message 7 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a similar query.  I currently pay £18 for the o2 tarrif, and £10 for the handset.  I have £70 left to pay off the phone, if I want to upgrade, but I am still bound to O2 until next March I think. Does anyone know if this is right? 

If you pay the remaining £70 off the device you can upgrade straight away, or if you want to leave simply pay the device off and give them a months notice on the airtime contract, as long as the device is paid you can then leave.

Message 8 of 12

MI5
  • 143435 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
What either of you owe will depend on your tariff type.
If on refresh you just pay off the device plan and then cancel (for free) the airtime.
If on the old type standard tariff you pay a settlement figure which includes both phone and airtime and is the basic monthly payment multiplied by the number of months remaining.
You need to call CS if you want to pay off completely.
Contact them on 202 from your O2 phone.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thankyou sooooooo much, this is such a relief.

I have been reading the threads from earlier postings about this.

You guys are patient and kind to us newbees here.

Message 10 of 12