Did you mean: 

CES Las Vegas 2018

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey everyone, 

This week the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) is on in Las Vegas! CES is one of the largest technology trade shows on the planet with thousands of companies in attendance and an expected 200,000 visitors this year. The trade show is used to show off a wide variety of gadgets and technology that will be hitting the shelves in the near future. 

There's a massive amount of new tech on display including 8K TV's, rollable OLED TV's, robots, VR systems and mobile handsets. 

Is anyone following CES? If so which technology has caught your eye so far? 

Further reading

CES.jpg

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Wow, what a comprehensive reply!
I thought that the Samsung and Apple phones were the only one with curved edges? Looking at various photos, the LG V30, Mate 10 Pro and the OnePlus 5T don't seem to (standing by for correction in 5, 4, 3...)
I get what you mean about the size/shape/curve of the Note. I liked the look of the 7, and was thinking about the 8 but with the curve it does mean that there is less space to write on. Plus it is VERY expensive...
They don't give actual height x width, but gsmareana.com do give you the diagonal, the area and the screen to body ratio. Is that any good?
I have a glass screen protector on my G4 which currently is still in great condition (despite many drops thanks to the case!) and would want to get one for the next phone. Will have to keep an eye out to see if there are any and what the reviews are.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 31 of 33

Fellwalker
Level 9: Fired up
  • 245 Posts
  • 20 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@gmarkj wrote:
Wow, what a comprehensive reply!
I thought that the Samsung and Apple phones were the only one with curved edges? Looking at various photos, the LG V30, Mate 10 Pro and the OnePlus 5T don't seem to (standing by for correction in 5, 4, 3...)
I get what you mean about the size/shape/curve of the Note. I liked the look of the 7, and was thinking about the 8 but with the curve it does mean that there is less space to write on. Plus it is VERY expensive...
They don't give actual height x width, but gsmareana.com do give you the diagonal, the area and the screen to body ratio. Is that any good?
I have a glass screen protector on my G4 which currently is still in great condition (despite many drops thanks to the case!) and would want to get one for the next phone. Will have to keep an eye out to see if there are any and what the reviews are.

Announced at CES, Zagg might have created a screen protector for those curved screens.

You're right about those phones having flat screens, but they are still 18:9. The area and ratio on gsmarena is a help, yes.  The area is a new thing, and they seem to have added it to some earlier reviews.  I don't recall seeing it before.   Now we just need a note of curved or not wink

LG V30OnePlus 3TMate 10 ProMate 9
6.0 inches, 92.9 cm2 (~81.2% screen-to-body ratio)6.0 inches, 92.9 cm2 (~80.9% screen-to-body ratio)6.0 inches, 92.9 cm2 (~80.9% screen-to-body ratio)5.9 inches, 96.0 cm2 (~77.5% screen-to-body ratio)

The Mate 10 is still 16:9 but I prefer the back mounted fingerprint sensor and didn't feel my Mate 9 was in need of replacement.  I really hope they keep it at that ratio for the Mate 11.

Note 9. O2 since 2007.
Message 32 of 33

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Not sure if I am missing something, but the Mate 10 (Pro at least) has a rear mounted fingerprint sensor?
It does seem strange that nothing is mentioned about a curve or not.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 33 of 33