Did you mean: 

CES Las Vegas 2018

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey everyone, 

This week the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) is on in Las Vegas! CES is one of the largest technology trade shows on the planet with thousands of companies in attendance and an expected 200,000 visitors this year. The trade show is used to show off a wide variety of gadgets and technology that will be hitting the shelves in the near future. 

There's a massive amount of new tech on display including 8K TV's, rollable OLED TV's, robots, VR systems and mobile handsets. 

Is anyone following CES? If so which technology has caught your eye so far? 

Further reading

CES.jpg

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32

Fellwalker
  • 245 Posts
  • 20 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@Martin-O2 wrote:

@gmarkj I haven't had a proper good at the Note 8 yet! I'm definitely a Galaxy S fanboy but could be swayed by the Note 8! 

I'm not sure I would have one of these current crop of 18:9 screens however much you paid me.  Certainly not a curved edge one.

I will stick with my very useful 5.9 inch 16:9 phone with a 4000mAh battery.

Note 9. O2 since 2007.
Message 21 of 33

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Great round up of the event @Fellwalker! You've certainly been paying attention! Those robo dogs are super cute. smiling I wonder how my cats would react to them. joy

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!

signature

Message 22 of 33

Fellwalker
  • 245 Posts
  • 20 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@Martin-O2 wrote:

Great round up of the event @Fellwalker! You've certainly been paying attention! Those robo dogs are super cute. smiling I wonder how my cats would react to them. joy

cat Tractive announces its first GPS tracking collar for cats

There had to be something somewhere in CES for you

Note 9. O2 since 2007.
Message 23 of 33

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Fellwalker wrote:

@Martin-O2 wrote:

My three would rip my hands off if I tried to put a collar on them. Having said that, I wouldn't bother with the eldest cat now. Age 20 all he does is bumble around in the back garden. His nights on the prowl are long gone. ..Bless Cat

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 24 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

@Fellwalker wrote:

@Martin-O2 wrote:

My three would rip my hands off if I tried to put a collar on them. Having said that, I wouldn't bother with the eldest cat now. Age 20 all he does is bumble around in the back garden. His nights on the prowl are long gone. ..Bless Cat

Lovely to hear your eldest cat is 20 @Cleoriff Cat

As has been said above, my cat Marty un-does snap-release collars ... It'd be interesting to know where he goes on his adventures though Cat Very Happy

Message 25 of 33

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@Martin-O2 wrote:

@gmarkj I haven't had a proper good at the Note 8 yet! I'm definitely a Galaxy S fanboy but could be swayed by the Note 8! 

I love the Galaxy S phones @Martin-O2 but after buying the Note 4 if I had a choice it would definitely be the Note 8. As I said I only went for the S8+ because I was in desperate need of a new phone and just couldn't wait for the Note 8 release. So if you want a large screen then the Note 8 is definitely the way to go. 

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 26 of 33

Fellwalker
Level 9: Fired up
  • 245 Posts
  • 20 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

camera  Another interesting thing from CES... 

Kodak Astro Zoom Bridge Camera with 102x Zoom Lens!

Note 9. O2 since 2007.
Message 27 of 33

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions

What is about the 18:9 that is so off putting @Fellwalker?

Most of the large manufacturers are using that display type now, so may be harder to avoid in the future...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 28 of 33

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@Fellwalker, GPS for cats! tongue_winking It would be fascinating to know where they get off to on their night missions! 

Thanks @Glory1 I'll definitely take a look at the Note 8 before making a decision. I reckon I'll still get a good few months out of the S6 so plenty of time to shop around. cool

signature

Message 29 of 33

Fellwalker
Level 9: Fired up
  • 245 Posts
  • 20 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@gmarkj wrote:

What is about the 18:9 that is so off putting @Fellwalker?

Most of the large manufacturers are using that display type now, so may be harder to avoid in the future...

It is the lack of width that gets to me. I bought a phone with a large screen so it had a decent width to read books, Web pages and use email, text, social media. Occasionally I'll look at YouTube or watch BBC iPlayer.

18:9 gives less words across, or many less lines down if held landscape. If landscape, and responding like this, I might get a couple of lines plus a keyboard.

There are hardly any 2:1 phones that aren't curved edge.

I had really wanted a Galaxy note 8 (to match my Tab S3 which is the other way at 4:3, brilliant) but compared to my phone, it is taller and narrower. Not only that, but the sides lose even more width due to the curves. That is a device with a USP of a stylus, with which you can write on flat surfaces. But you have paid extra to get a surface that you cannot write on all the way across, and which also gives a highlight reflection along the curve which IMHO is in the way and irritating.

I feel it is worse for photos, as the extra on the longest dimension cannot be good quality due to the shape of a lens and the physics of light bending through it. When looking at photos or videos, the extra width is rarely useful. Thinking about how we see the world, yes we have peripheral vision, but most of the time we are concentrating on the bit directly in front of us.

It is VERY difficult to get actual screen dimensions when trying to compare , as most places still only give diagonals. However, searching today did find this great story from The Verge, in which it explains that the screen real estate for a Galaxy S8 at 5.8 inches is hugely less than a 5.8 inch standard 16:9 phone of the same diagonal. 

Indeed, my Huawei Mate 9 is 5.9 inches diagonal so I would lose more than 8mm in width - nearly a centimetre,and more than 7 square centimetres in total.

The other aspect (pun not intended but there it is) of the phone is the length. Despite claiming bezel-less, it is marginally longer by 4mm. So whilst it might be ever so slightly easier to hold by width, I could never stretch to the top without changing my grip. Where are menus and tabs and so on? Oh yes, at the top.

It isn't easier to keep in my pocket, as it still sticks out the top of some. But it sure is a heck of a lot easier to break, because you cannot get a tempered glass screen protector that actually sticks to the whole glass like with mine. It is far more expensive to repair.

I did succumb to the Note 7 while it was still 16:9, and got as far as a screen protector and case before the phone itself was canceled just before delivery. The screen protector only has little sticky bits at the edges, a complaint that still echos in some forums.

I hope that explains why I am being very careful with my phone and intending to keep it until the world  comes to its senses! I'd say like a dinosaur, but they might have been too clumsy for the analogy to hold. 

Note 9. O2 since 2007.
Message 30 of 33