Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bye Bye Big Brother

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Finally, sanity has occurred and the "social experiment", Big Brother is ending!!!!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-45519752

Always believed it should have been done once or twice then died way back in the 90's (was in Holland when it first came out and it made no sense then over what it wanted to achieve) but apparently the viewing publics disagreed with me. Dreadful program full stop. 

Message 1 of 41
40 REPLIES 40

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

This is true (about meandering off topic in off topic) Smiley Very Happy

Also, the reason I like the TV adaptation of Vanity Fair is the modern twist they have put on it. Brings the characters to life I think....

Yes, I totally agree with you @Cleoriff. In fact, this is my favourite adaptation and quite possibly for the reason you've given.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 31 of 41

Anonymous
Not applicable

It was a mistake to bring it back after Channel 4 had binned it. It was definitely a product of its time, and was always going to have a limited shelf life. 

I haven’t seen it yet, but this is Channel 4’s latest “social experiment”:

http://www.channel4.com/info/press/news/c4-commissions-the-circle-from-studio-lambert-and-motion-con...

Message 32 of 41

Cleoriff
  • 122371 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

A brief glimpse at the article @Anonymous tells me I won't be watching that. slight_frown

Sounds like a story of every day life for some people (apart from the £50,000 prize money)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 33 of 41

welshsteve76
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 1554 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@sheepdog wrote:

Finally, sanity has occurred and the "social experiment", Big Brother is ending!!!!

Couldn't agree more.  Good riddance.  It's responsible for making so-called "celebrities" out of people with zero talent who contribute nothing to the world.

Hopefully the equally annoying X-Factor will follow suit and rid the world of talentless pretty people and open the door for proper talented musicians to thrive.

Unfortunately Channel 4 have devised what appears to be an equally pathetic show starting soon called The Circle confounded

Thanks

Steve
Message 34 of 41

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
Another "experiment" I will avoid like the plague. I've seen the adverts for The Circle and thought oh no not another trashy reality show.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 35 of 41

Anonymous
Not applicable

The Circle is a car crash waiting to happen. Some young pup falling for a supposed hot woman, only for it to be a man. Humiliated in front of the nation.. goes on to commit suicide blaming tv / social media..

Message 36 of 41

Anonymous
Not applicable

@welshsteve76 wrote:

< snip >

Hopefully the equally annoying X-Factor will follow suit and rid the world of talentless pretty people and open the door for proper talented musicians to thrive. 

The format may change but talent contests are here to stay, although I confess I'm not really a fan of them myself. The Voice is another programme I don't bother watching, but I went to see Evita recently, a truly fabulous musical with Lucy O'Byrne in the title role. Apparently, she was runner-up in the 2015 show, so these kind of programmes do open the door for some exciting talent.

Message 37 of 41

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

@Glory1 wrote:
Another "experiment" I will avoid like the plague. I've seen the adverts for The Circle and thought oh no not another trashy reality show.

Snippet from the press release: In The Circle individuals from all walks of life will compete in a popularity contest to win up to £50,000. They will all live in one modern block but separately in individual apartments, interacting with one another exclusively through a bespoke voice-activated social media platform called The Circle.

er, isn't that effectively a prison they're describing. At what point are they actually allowed out of their apartments and how are they going to stop them meeting each other? No don't answer that, I don't care!

Message 38 of 41

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122371 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Yes a prison, with every mod con...and a £50,000 prize at the end clown

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 39 of 41

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

Yes a prison, with every mod con...and a £50,000 prize at the end clown

Now that gives me an idea.... if they did a Celebrity Prison Break in the style of Get me out of here, that would be worth watching with the latest person of hate to be put through the worst challenges ever. Oh the permutations are endless heart_eyes

Sheepdog in "Shawshank Redemption pipe crawl challenge" mode

Message 40 of 41