Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bring Back TV Programmes

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25137 Posts
  • 809 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

What TV programmes do you miss, or too young to see at the time, and would love to see reshown?

I know that some old programmes are repeated on channels such as Dave, Yesterday, Drama, Gold -

feel free to mention any that you miss and are pleased on any of these, or other channels, as I for one might have missed them.

Here are a few of mine, I`d love to see reshown:

The Liver Birds - with the lovely Polly James and Nerys Hughes

The Prisoner

Dave Allen Show

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 1 of 76
75 REPLIES 75

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

So not one to give up, I switch to Chrome on PC and can see it perfectly. Confused

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 41 of 76

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

@Mi-Amigo

I'm not sure another episode would have revealed all. It was MacGoohans cunning plan to leave us in limbo!

I saw him on a talk show in the 70's when he was asked about it and the only answers he gave were ...

As long as people feel something, that's the great thing, it's when they're walking around not thinking, not feeling, that's though, that's where all the dangerous stuff is, cause when you get a mob like that, you can turn them in to the sort of gang that Hitler had".(That statement caused outrage )

Also the biggest clue in his words "Freedom is a myth.We all continue to be prisoners"

I said at the time and still believe that No 1 was in fact MacGoohan himself...

Thank you very much @Cleoriff for the above info ... he's right what he says in the 3rd paragraph of your post = very much today

Message 42 of 76

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

Yes @Cleoriff I also thought MacGoohan's character was No1. It was the only thing that made sense of it all.

I thought they were actually training him to take over the running of the place. The more he resisted, the more he was the right man for the job.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 43 of 76

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10765 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@Mi-Amigo

I'm not sure another episode would have revealed all. It was MacGoohans cunning plan to leave us in limbo!

I saw him on a talk show in the 70's when he was asked about it and the only answers he gave were ...

As long as people feel something, that's the great thing, it's when they're walking around not thinking, not feeling, that's though, that's where all the dangerous stuff is, cause when you get a mob like that, you can turn them in to the sort of gang that Hitler had".(That statement caused outrage )

Also the biggest clue in his words "Freedom is a myth.We all continue to be prisoners"

I said at the time and still believe that No 1 was in fact MacGoohan himself...

Just read your post @Cleoriff

He's a cheeky boy! then.. philosophizing ~ he should stick to what he knows best that is

acting ~ spending his life pretending to be somebody else ~ all the time!

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 44 of 76

jonsie
  • 93188 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Such is the attraction of interviews and talk shows. At least he had opininions , controversial or not. Sometimes statements are made to get a public response and make for greater interest than the usual boring responses to questions....unfortunately he is no longer with us.

Someone may correct me but I'm sure that the opening credits of The Prisoner made mention of John Drake resigning? If not, it's a fact that I've always known and remembered.

Message 45 of 76

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10765 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions

Yes @jonsie Interviews and Talk Shows ~ sure ~ usually full of the "blarney" and as Patrick was Irish

well enough said.  

That doesn't mean I didn't like him.  He was ok.

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 46 of 76

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Someone may correct me but I'm sure that the opening credits of The Prisoner made mention of John Drake resigning? If not, it's a fact that I've always known and remembered.

@jonsie

Series co-creator George Markstein always maintained that No.6 was John Drake, another agent that McGoohan had previously played in the TV show Danger Man (1960-68).

"The scripts] were about a secret agent - and after all Drake had been a secret agent," Markstein insisted. "And No. 6 suddenly quits without any apparent reason - as McGoohan had quit Danger Man without any apparent reason…"

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/a806924/the-prisoner-is-50-but-who-was-patrick-mcgoohans-no-6-really/

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 47 of 76

jonsie
  • 93188 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Tbh @jonsie, I was never in any doubt. Great to watch that opening sequence again by the way...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 49 of 76

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

Well I always thought McGoohan's character in The Prisoner was indeed John Drake from Danger Man and he was being punished for resigning the way he did, and with the information he had about 'the Organisation'. What he saw in the mirror was himself because he was no better than the Oranisation he'd come to despise. Hence he despised himself.

That's my take on it anyway. Pity we'll never really know what it was about now as McGoohan took that secret with him to the grave. And all the people involved with the show are now dead too, I believe. Shame, I would have loved to know the truth of it all and whether I was right or wrong.

And, of course whether McGoohan was indeed John Drake of Danger Man, another show I avidly watched while still in New York.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 50 of 76