Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brexit: No-deal opponents defeat government

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122787 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Tory rebels and opposition MPs have defeated the government in the first stage of their attempt to pass a law designed to prevent a no-deal Brexit.

The Commons voted 328 to 301 to take control of the agenda, meaning they can bring forward a bill seeking to delay the UK's exit date.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49573555

Boris Johnson responded by saying he would bring forward a motion for a general election.

And so the saga continues clown

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 69
68 REPLIES 68

jonsie
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6956 Solutions

And so he should! How they could have allowed this cretin to rule the country is an absolute disgrace. Mind you I said the same about Trump and they both continue to want me to throw up at their antics.

Message 51 of 69

Cleoriff
  • 122787 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

On the 1pm news now, they are calling for an immediate return to Parliament

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 52 of 69

jonsie
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6956 Solutions

Mp's and political experts clamouring for something. The whole thing is just very tiring and so disrespectful to the people they are supposed to represent.

Message 53 of 69

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25128 Posts
  • 809 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Daily Express online reporting:

Despite Parliament being prorogued for five weeks, a handful of MPs have returned to Westminster after today’s ruling. Kevin Brennan, a Welsh Labour MP, said on Twitter: 11.30 Wednesday - it should be #pmqs but Parliament illegally prorogued. “I’ve come to the chamber but no sign of the Prime Minister.”

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 54 of 69

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

@Mi-Amigo wrote:

Daily Express online reporting:

Despite Parliament being prorogued for five weeks, a handful of MPs have returned to Westminster after today’s ruling. Kevin Brennan, a Welsh Labour MP, said on Twitter: 11.30 Wednesday - it should be #pmqs but Parliament illegally prorogued. “I’ve come to the chamber but no sign of the Prime Minister.”

Nice to see Welsh MPs hop on the 1st class carriage immediately from Cardiff to London and then claim it on expenses plus an overnight stay and meals. Must be oh at least £500 each to be claimed there. Just on the off-chance nothing will happen. 

Reminds me to add to add "expenses" to the questions I'll be asking the idiots canvassing my door wanting me to vote for them come the next election. 

Anyway, some interesting reading on the summary from last week and being heard next Tuesday in the Supreme Court. Basically: if you MP's can pass bill quickly when you want, why are you coming to court with your politcal shenanigans because we don't do politics.

Message 55 of 69

jonsie
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6956 Solutions

Cleoriff
  • 122787 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

sheepdog in very cynical mode LOL

I think we all are. A shambolic fiasco to say the least!!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 57 of 69

jonsie
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6956 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@jonsie wrote:

sheepdog in very cynical mode LOL

I think we all are. A shambolic fiasco to say the least!!

As long as we are keeping the rest of the world amused whilst we are all totally bemused and confused. Monty Python territory this!

Message 58 of 69

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25128 Posts
  • 809 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Independent online reported one hour ago:

The government has published its Operation Yellowhammer "reasonable worst case planning assumptions" in the event of a no-deal Brexit, in response to MPs voting for it to happen.
The document says:
  "Protests and counter-protests will take place across the UK and may absorb significant amounts of police resource. There may also be a rise in public disorder and community tensions... Low-income groups will be disproportionately affected by any price rises in food and fuel."

The government dossier says France will impose EU mandatory controls on UK goods -
"On D1ND [day 1 of no deal] between 50-85 per cent of HGVs travelling via the short Channel Straits may not be ready for French customs... The lack of trader readiness combined with limited space in French ports to hold 'unready' HGVs could reduce the flow rate to 40-60 per cent of current levels within one day as unready HGVs will fill the ports and block flow... The worst disruption to the short Channel Straits might last for up to three months before it improves by a significant level to around 50-70 per cent (due to more traders getting prepared), although there could continue to be some disruption for significantly longer... In the event of serious disruption, the French might act to ensure some flow through the short Channel crossings... Disruption to flow across the short Channel Straits would also cause significant queues in Kent and delays to HGVs attempting to use the routes to travel to France... In a reasonable worst-case scenario, HGVs could face maximum delays of 1.5-2.5 days before being able to cross the border... HGVs that are caught up in congestion in the UK will be unable to return to the EU to collect another load and a proportion of logistics firms may decide to avoid the route should there be significant and prolonged disruption... Analysis to date has suggested a low risk of significant sustained queues at ports outside of Kent which have high volumes of EU traffic, but BDG will continue to work directly with stakeholders at those ports to support planning readiness."

That`s what Boris didn`t want MPs and the public to know.

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 59 of 69

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd like to see the Queen reopen the Tower of London and have Boris locked in it for 12 months for lying to her.

Meanwhile we could get on with a General Election.

Message 60 of 69