cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blackberry joins the world of combusting phones.

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/blackberry/9722046/Boy-burned-as-BlackBerry-phone-bursts-into-...

Now I could make some good puns here but I really do feel sorry for the poor lad:(
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Dreadful thing to happen, I too will resist the temptation due to the serious nature of the lad's injuries, and hope he recovers well.

It's the kind of thing that could happen to any of us, we take it for granted that modern electrical kit will be safe.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 2 of 8

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93188 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

I haven't heard of this with other Blackberries so hopefully it's a one-off. I'm sure Blackberry's investigation will come up with answers but heaven forbid there is a mass safety recall.

Message 3 of 8

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

I wonder if its because it was on charge that a surge caused this. Also wondering what the conditions were like in the room i.e. humidity and whether there was enough air space around the phone. 

Message 4 of 8

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Presume they're lithium batteries in the blackberry. They're considerably volatile but are supposed to be protected by fail safe circuits.

I can only fathom what damage would be caused to this boy if it exploded:(

I am wondering why it was at the foot of the bed:/ may have been covered with a duvet.
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 5 of 8

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Poor kiddie 😞

Horrible thing to happen and I wish him a swift recovery. This must be one of the first instances of this happening.
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 6 of 8

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
For blackberry not for other manufacturers.

Others I've read tend to be more explosive:(
Message 7 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hope he recovers well & it gets sorted but I bet there will be some sort of recall

Message 8 of 8