Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black History Month 2021

lewys-gp
Former Staff
  • 921 Posts
  • 89 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

October is Black History Month in the UK! BHM is an annual observance, when we are encouraged to remember important people and events in the history of those with Black origin and/or African diaspora.

bhm.jpeg

However, it can split opinion. I recently saw Paul Pogba, a Black footballer and role model to millions of young people, say "I think there should...

Some of the other footballers in the same article state its importance, though. Overall, the consensus is it's important to have this annual observance so we learn how to be more accepting, inclusive and aware of our history, in general, and specifically Black history. Even if we may wish it wasn't needed, and that we could just celebrate all types of histories, any day, week, month or year.

Whatever your opinion, I'm sure we can all agree that it's important to champion diversity and welcome one another, whatever the person's ethnicity, sexuality, nationality or anything else.

O2 & Virgin Media published a blog about the TV collection they'll be playing across the month to ce... There are documentaries, music, entertainment, and movies to choose from.

To finish, I would like to suggest an activity. If any community members would like to comment on this post about a Black historical figure, role model or event, past or present, that they've been inspired by, please do 😃. I will come back at a later date to share mine.

Thank you!

Community Manager for the O2 Community 🙂
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@lewys-gp 

Martin Luther King  is one of the people who has inspired me. He worked so hard as a social activist and sought equality and human rights for African Americans, the economically disadvantaged and all victims of injustice.

He managed to push through the Civil Rights act which banned discrimination in the workforce.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere"

However considering this was in the 60's, I think it's appalling in this day and age people are still having to fight for the right to be considered equal just because they are black.

Such racism and inequality is appalling.

Nowadays I find myself full of admiration for Lewis Hamilton F1 driver. Despite losing many fans due to his stance on racial equality....he carries on using his F1 platform to speak out.. The phrase 'We race as One' came from him and is used by every team.

He has set up the Hamilton Commission to look at the under representation of black drivers in Motorsport. It went further than that, and is also linked to the Royal Academy of engineering so they can understand why there are so few black people working at grass roots level in the factories and what is preventing the industry from being truly representative and diverse.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 9

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10672 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Hi @lewys-gp 

Interesting topic. Discrimination. 

To me it is not unusual.  I call them "clubs"

Discrimination comes in many guises. 

Churches or any form of worshipers and their "followers"

Countries and their peoples/closed borders, nationalism. Nations flag waving, not inclusive really.

Sporting teams remind me of  the Roman 

Gladiators. 

If there was nothing else to discriminate against   it would be blue eyes,  brown eyes, grey eyes or groups who only liked green eyes🤣

The list is a very long one and will never be short.

Animals group together.  Humans like groups too.  

Me? if you are a decent style of person (that is discriminatory though, to be completely inclusive I should accept anyone)

I don't mind if you are green and come from Mars I'll try to find something in common probably food!🤣

There's no answer.  Fortunately most humans are reasonable.   

Good one @lewys-gp 

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 3 of 9

lewys-gp
Former Staff
  • 921 Posts
  • 89 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hi @TallTrees @Cleoriff. Thanks for sharing your thoughts 😁.

MLK was such an inspiration and I have watched many a film and read books on him specifically, and the Civil Rights Movement in general. It's crazy to think that was not so long ago! It's good to realise how much progress we've made, but also how much more we need to make in order for equality to be achieved.

I think Lewis Hamilton is an amazing role model too! There's always going to be pushback from certain people, but he's managed to achieve so much 😃.

@TallTrees I couldn't have put it better myself 😂. As long as you're a decent person, I don't mind! Plus, food can bring anyone together! Can't wait to be able to go abroad again and take in cultures and try local cuisines again. 

Community Manager for the O2 Community 🙂
Message 4 of 9

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10672 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

PS @lewys-gp 

If I remember correctly WE ALL walked out of Africa!  as early humans.

So I am a world person 😁

Thanks for the topic 

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 5 of 9

RunrigForever
  • 2079 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Barack Obama

***DESORMAIS***
Message 6 of 9

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Thomas Sowell. Probably someone you've never heard of, at least in the UK, but he's been around for decades (he's now 90 but there's clips of him in the 70's!). Have a watch & listen of his interviews on Youtube via the Hoover Institution as they are fascinating and enlightening. 

Message 7 of 9

RunrigForever
  • 2079 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Colin Powell R.I.P.

***DESORMAIS***
Message 8 of 9

RunrigForever
  • 2079 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 0 Solutions