Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Big Cats: Big News :)

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

No apologies for this. Most of you will know of my love of big cats (any and all) heart

The Amur Leopard is a very endangered species. Only 200 left in the world and most of those are in captivity. It is believed only 70 are roaming wild

Yesterday Twycross Zoo announced the great news that a pair of Amur Leopard cubs had been born 5 weeks ago. CCTV footage covered the birth...

Amur leopard cubs.jpg

Hopefully, these cubs will help towards repopulating the natural habitat.....

Yesterday they ventured out for the first time...

Amur leopard cubs1.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-36962447

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Cairdeas
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 3570 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Aww that is fabulous news! And how cute are they ? heart wishing them a long , happy and fertile life wink x

giphy-3
Message 3 of 33

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

I was completely shocked when I read that only 70 remained out in the wild. What the hell are we doing with these animals? Soon there wont be any left for our children and their children to learn about and enjoy...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 33

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

This is what man is doing to the planet and their lust will never be sated as long as species roam in the wild. It's one thing killing animals to eat but quite another when you have big bucks to go on hunting expeditions. How they can justify it as sport makes me shake with rage.

Message 5 of 33

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

I was completely shocked when I read that only 70 remained out in the wild.

If they're in the wild.....how do they know that they've counted them all ?

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 6 of 33

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

@Beenherebefore wrote:

@Cleoriff wrote:

I'd love to know this actually @Beenherebefore!

@Cleoriff This is amazing news! I hope more work will be done to grow their numbers. I wish I could help somehow! So sad that only 70 are remaining. 😞

Message 7 of 33

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@Beenherebefore wrote:

@Cleoriff wrote:

I expected someone to ask this. No surprise it was you. I have absolutely no idea how they count them...but would think the experts have a system.....

All wild animal numbers are an estimate anyway. When they do 'the maths' it will be outdated immediately...as some die and some others are born. What is a fact is that endangered species diminish ever year.....and this is down to humans.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 33

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@Marjo everyone can help a little...I personally subscribe to WWF (but that's my choice of charity)

https://support.wwf.org.uk/?pc=AQJ001001&ds_medium=cpc&gclid=COrd3Jzfp84CFWEz0wodX-oLSw&gclsrc=aw.ds

Its all pebbles in the ocean of greed though. Unless we stop trophy hunting and destruction of the animals natural habitat we will lose them all....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 33

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

By the way scientists use some algorithm to assess how many species are left....(Yes I looked it up)

The current extinction rate is approximately 100 extinctions per million species per year, or 1,000 times higher than natural background rates. They also predict that future rates may be as much as 10,000 times higher.

Today they are better able to assess with the use of Mobile apps, GIS satellite data, and online crowdsourcing Through these technologies, they are mobilizing millions of people around the world, and are learning very much more about where species are than ever known in the past.

Far too scientific for me.....but the question was asked ...

This article is 2 years old.... http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/05/140529-conservation-science-animals-species-endanger...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 33