cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best & worst film sequels

Anonymous
Not applicable

Which film franchises you people think have the best or worst sequels.

the original superman franchise. 1978-2006.

the original was amazing but superman 2: the donner cut finally released in 2006 shows what the original plan was & how it was supposed to be shown & released as a two film story. It stayed in the same tone as the original as Richard donner originally shot approximately 80% of superman 2 in 1977 alongside the first instalment Before it was halted to make way of the needed push to complete superman the movie so they could meet the Christmas 1978 release date. they then proceeded to reshoot the entire film with a new director because they didn't want to pay marlon brando's demands to appear in a sequel plus gene hackman refused to come back for more filming. You can brando in his scenes that he shot for the original superman 2 in the donner cut. It's a must see 15 minutes worth of footage.

the worst sequel I have ever seen is superman 4: the quest for peace released in 1987. The special effects look diabolical & when you see superman flying towards camera, almost looks like a paper cut out as its adjust a badly done still shot of reeve. Another thing is the film is less than an hour & a half long so no time for proper story development. I have seen one extended cut of a few extra little scenes inserted that aren't in the DVD or blu ray releases. It's a scene of a family suffering a hurricane & the little girl gets blown away Then superman rescues her. The girl was played by Christopher Reeve's real life daughter. It would of been an epic film if they left the 45 minutes of deleted footage in the film that they took out. It explains the plot a lot better, more footage, a great battle scene between superman & a nuclear man version one, the version we see in the finished film is actually the second attempt of luthor s after the first fails to destroy superman. That battle scene alone if left in the film could of been one of the best scenes in the entire franchise & may have put that film on equal 2nd place with the donner cut, then again, cannon who made the film were known to cut corners. Warner brothers gave them a $35 million budget but cannon only used $17 million on superman 4 & squandered the rest on another failed film.

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yea, perhaps it's also because the entire Matrix concept was so epic when it was first released. It completely blew everyone's mind, so it's hard to achieve the same effect.
Message 11 of 15

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
That's a good point.

However I think the real reason that the latter films were not as good, was that the machines which control us, wanted us to lose interest in the movie so as not to discover the true secret behind our world as it exists wink thus keeping the matrix a secret:)

Ergo, vis a vis, concordantly the deception has succeeded.
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 12 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
lol grin
Message 13 of 15

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Ergh could have done better with some caffine:D

I really like the Sherlock Holmes sequel(of sorts) its more of a separate story than a progression of a series.

However it does expand on characters somewhat. In my opinion its one of the best movie sets around.
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 14 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Mission impossible: ghost protocol is way better than mi:3. Great story, good actors, nice twist

Message 15 of 15