Did you mean: 

Best Practices for Data Backup on Windows 10 Pro Laptop

melissahankins
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello everyone,

I recently upgraded to a Windows 10 Pro laptop and have been thinking about the best way to ensure my data is backed up securely. I'd like to share my thoughts and also seek advice from the community.

Backing Up to an External Drive:

Currently, I'm using the Windows Backup feature to create regular backups on an external hard drive. It seems straightforward, but I'd like to know if there are any specific settings or recommendations for optimizing this method.

Cloud Backup Services:

I'm also considering using a cloud backup service like OneDrive, but I'm not sure if it's necessary in addition to the external drive backup. Does anyone have experience with cloud services, and do they offer a significant advantage?

Backup Scheduling:

Should I set up a specific backup schedule? How often do you all back up your data on a Windows 10 Pro laptop?

Selective Backups:

Is it best to back up everything or be selective about the files I include in backups? What are your thoughts on this?

I appreciate any advice or insights you can provide on best practices for data backup on Windows 10 Pro. Thank you in advance!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35980 Posts
  • 228 Topics
  • 1594 Solutions

Google really is your friend here, @melissahankins - https://uk.pcmag.com/migrated-3765-windows-10/85293/how-to-back-up-and-restore-your-files-in-windows... will give you pointers to start from.

And remember, hard drives fail (SSD ones too) - so build in some resiliency if that is the way you choose to go.

For Cloud, getting your data in is only one part of the equation - trying to get it all back out again my not be as cheap.

If you use Google: https://www.multcloud.com/tutorials/backup-windows-10-to-google-drive-1207.html  (other cloud providers exist - Amazon, if you use Prime, DropBox, even Microsoft's OneDrive.

Whatever you choose, remember to keep it fresh and revisit your choice every 18months or so - and test bringing stuff back in from whatever cloud provider you use. Good luck!

Message 2 of 3

Oxonian
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 5725 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

@melissahankins 

I would recommend both cloud and physical backups, and remember to keep a copy of the latter offsite in case your home is flooded, catches fire or your external hard drive is stolen. 

Viruses and malware can sometimes infect cloud storage or a connected external hard drive, so that is another reason to keep a physical backup well away from your laptop.

This is worth reading :-

What's the Best Way to Back Up My Computer? (howtogeek.com)

This is an excellent deal :-

Buy Microsoft 365 Family (formerly Office 365) – Subscription Price, Download | Microsoft Store UK

If you are in employment, you might be able to get a discount here :-

Microsoft Workplace Discount Programme (formerly Home Use Programme) – Microsoft Store

Message 3 of 3