Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Be Positive, Regardless...

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35758 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1582 Solutions

... of the mess the United Kingdom seems to be making of itself.

Perhaps 2020 will bring the clarity of vision needed to navigate a path to a better, brighter future, regardless of the way our European Union friends and family members are being made to feel after a lifetime spent living in the UK - 47 years on Jan 1st, 2020.

Regardless of the way the National Health Service has been overburdened and underfunded in the preceding decade, and is now being starved, due to circumstances and uncertainty, of critical personnel.

Regardless of the likelihood that, for a UK national, travelling in Europe will become just a sightseeing trip - no more an opportunity to be spontaneous and take up that poolside job or that chalet ski guide position...

Regardless of myriad other reasons, I will seek the positives.

Regardless.

Happy New Year. 

IMG_20191222_170755.jpg

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122787 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

A positive post @pgn. Regardless of all you have mentioned.

I'm not sure I can be as positive about the NHS though. Not only is there a distinct lack of personnel, there is no funding for critical equipment if we are to progress and keep up with our European counterparts.

Funding for cross country amalgamated research projects will be lost and I fear for the future of our healthcare.cry

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

If it wasn't for the NHS I probably wouldn't be here as had a number of operations when I was young so for that reason on it's own relocating wouldn't be an option for me because of the insurance (as well as any relocation costs and of course assuming they'd let me!) as I did actually look into the practicalities of relocating to the Republic of Ireland as it's good for IT, means I could stay in Europe and move on from where I am.

I do want to try and change jobs this year but am holding off as I'm concerned that the type of companies I'd like to work for are just going to relocate to Europe so I keep telling myself to wait until the end of January.

As for the NHS I think it's time National Insurance was ringfenced just for that and maybe it's time some people were given some 'tough love'

Boris Dominic is in control so it'll be fine wink

Message 3 of 20

jonsie
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6956 Solutions

@pgn wrote:

... of the mess the United Kingdom seems to be making of itself.

Perhaps 2020 will bring the clarity of vision needed to navigate a path to a better, brighter future, regardless of the way our European Union friends and family members are being made to feel after a lifetime spent living in the UK - 47 years on Jan 1st, 2020.

Regardless of the way the National Health Service has been overburdened and underfunded in the preceding decade, and is now being starved, due to circumstances and uncertainty, of critical personnel.

Regardless of the likelihood that, for a UK national, travelling in Europe will become just a sightseeing trip - no more an opportunity to be spontaneous and take up that poolside job or that chalet ski guide position...

Regardless of myriad other reasons, I will seek the positives.

Regardless.

Happy New Year. 

IMG_20191222_170755.jpg

Did Boris write that for you....?wink

Message 4 of 20

pgn
  • 35758 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1582 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Did Boris write that for you....?wink

Haha! LOL

The "pretty" one made me take out the line about all the academics fleeing the UK's universities and colleges, and also the bit about the "very generous" visa system offered to attract talent back (but not their dependents, you'll note...!) Bang

Positivity, positivity...

Message 5 of 20

pgn
  • 35758 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1582 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

As for the NHS I think it's time National Insurance was ringfenced just for that and maybe it's time some people were given some 'tough love'

Boris Dominic is in control so it'll be fine wink

Sounds like you'd be wise wating on the job-front, yes, @Anonymous - too much uncertainty fro the next 6-12 months.

Many owe the NHS more than one major treatment, but them in power would be happy to see more just pop their clogs... Rolleys

I think Dom has high ideals, gleaned from the writings of a couple of readily-identifiable sources - but how he can be pulling so many strings puzzles me, the man must be a dynamo.

Message 6 of 20

Cleoriff
  • 122787 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Not forgetting the highest number of nurses and doctors leaving the NHS.

My cousin, a Ward Sister at Warwick hospital, posted this cartoon...

Image may contain: text

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
Positivity is good! I look forward to our demise!
Message 8 of 20

pgn
  • 35758 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1582 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

Funding for cross country amalgamated research projects will be lost and I fear for the future of our healthcare.cry

Yeah, I forgot to give mention to all the other professionals in academia being forced to move back to the EU, mentioned it in my reply to @jonsie above.

Many more reasons to stay than go, and some of the reasons have spurred discussion, including regarding the NHS, here: https://smallbusinessprices.co.uk/remain-eu/,if you're interesting in losing yourself for a couple of hours...

Message 9 of 20

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25128 Posts
  • 809 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

Not forgetting the highest number of nurses and doctors leaving the NHS.

My cousin, a Ward Sister at Warwick hospital, posted this cartoon...

Image may contain: text

Thinking positively, that should be printed off and sent to Boris - to remind him rage 

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 10 of 20