Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battle Of the Somme: Centenary

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122909 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

I00 years ago tonight British, French and other Allied Forces were preparing to go into battle against Germany

The Battle of the Somme, one of WW1's bloodiest, was fought in northern France It started on July 1st 1916- Nov 18th 1916

The British and French armies fought the Germans in a brutal battle of attrition on a 15-mile front.

In total, there were more than one million dead and wounded on all sides.

Britain lost over 350,000 soldiers. Many were young volunteers. 19,250 died on the first day of the battle

Tomorrow morning in the UK there will be a 2 minute silence from 7.28am The battle started at 7.30am

"Lest we forget these brave men who gave their lives so we could live ours"

somme100-remember2_1170x461.jpg

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

jonsie
  • 93223 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions
Sad and poignant. We will never forget those who gave up their lives for this country.
Message 2 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122909 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Overnight vigils have taken place all over the country. Westminster Abbey was the venue for many miltary personnel to take their places at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier during last night...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122909 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

As part of the commemorations cities across the UK were visited by 'spectres' in a hauntingly beautiful tribute to the soldiers we lost...

Thousands of men dressed in World War I uniforms interrupted daily routines to give people a poignant reminder of the sacrifice those soldiers made.

Entering shopping centres, train stations, car parks and high streets, they handed out cards bearing names of the fallen in a touching tribute to those who died exactly 100 years ago today.

Throughout the powerful tribute, the men only broke their silence occasionally to sing the song ‘we’re here because we’re here’, sung in the trenches during WW1

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/01/wearehere-wwi-soldiers-appear-across-uk-in-moving-and-pow...

Somme Tribute Wearehere

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 9

jonsie
  • 93223 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions
A fitting tribute. Hope today's youth have been well taught about the sacrifice by these brave men.
Message 5 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122909 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:
A fitting tribute. Hope today's youth have been well taught about the sacrifice by these brave men.

My grandson did History GSCE and currently studying A level....When I asked if he had learnt about Battle of the Somme he replied he knew a bit about it. He also said he had learnt a lot more by watching the TV over this past week....We had a discussion and if honest I was surprised at how much he did know.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 9

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

I saw this over the weekend @Cleoriff and I think its a great way to represent the soldiers. Hopefully it becomes a new tradition with which to honor those brave men.

I went to Ypres and the Menin Gate in Belgium a few years ago. You see the war graves on television and it affects everyone I'm sure, but when you're actually there, its a truly haunting feeling. If you have not gone, I really would recommend it to everyone.

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 7 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122909 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Everyone I know who has visited these war grave sites says the same @Toby. On TV you can only marvel at the poignant beauty of them....and the fact they are maintained and cared for with love and dedication.

At the weekend I looked at my grandson and remembered lads his age were volunteering to fight for their country...and died in their gallant attempt to do so heart

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 9

jonsie
  • 93223 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Twice I have been to the war memorials and unmarked graves at the River Kwai. I know it's the second world war but I find it poignant and heartbreaking to see these well kept graves here. I have never seen so many poppies before. The British people flock here to remember and honour those who gave everything. We are so lucky to be here thanks to those who fought so that we could be......

Message 9 of 9