Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BEWARE! WHATSAPP VOUCHER SCAM!

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

Just saw this on the BBC website. Looks very malicious. Be aware of what you click on.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-41900814

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
It's been going round facebook for years unfortunately and still the gullible fall for it.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Wow...thanks for the heads up @Bambino These scams are getting quite sophisticated and are extremely worrying...Shocked

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 12

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
It's been going round facebook for years unfortunately and still the gullible fall for it.

Yes I've seen it on Facebook many many times, but it's now surfacing through WhatsApp, so I thought it best to give people a heads up. So many scams these days, you have to keep up and be very savvy.wink

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 12

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
For sure mate.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

@MI5 wrote:

Yes I've seen it on Facebook many many times, but it's now surfacing through WhatsApp, so I thought it best to give people a heads up. So many scams these days, you have to keep up and be very savvy.wink

If honest I have never seen it on FB before...I belong to various FB groups so don't often look at my timeline/news feeds etc. I am grateful for the heads up...particularly as Tu is now disappearing...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 12

jonsie
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

It's a little worrying because people always want something for nothing and these scams do look convincing. 

Message 7 of 12

MercedesS
Former Staff
  • 1192 Posts
  • 17 Topics
  • 18 Solutions

Thanks for sharing @Bambino!  It is great to see you back Bouncy

Please remember 'Netiquette' generally discourages the use of all caps when posting messages onlineWith the advent of the Bulletin board system or BBS, and later the Internet, typing messages in all caps became closely identified with "shouting" or attention-seeking behaviour and may be considered rudeThanks!

Get involved! If a post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution”.If you are new to the community, please read How to use the community
Message 8 of 12

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions

@MercedesS wrote:

Thanks for sharing @Bambino!  It is great to see you back Bouncy

Please remember 'Netiquette' generally discourages the use of all caps when posting messages onlineWith the advent of the Bulletin board system or BBS, and later the Internet, typing messages in all caps became closely identified with "shouting" or attention-seeking behaviour and may be considered rudeThanks!

Actually highlighting topic titles with capitals is very much accepted and also is used to convey urgency and loudness of text, usually used when important messages need to be posted in a manner that alerts people to the topic. Ergo, yes it is attention seeking, for a purpose.

It is also considered rude with the advent of bulletin board systems to publicly try to point out people's grammatical errors, especially when the system in place allows the use of private messaging systems (PM) in order to alert a user to their possible error.

If we can all remember this going forward, that'd be grand.

Message 9 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

I agree with @viridis The caps used in the topic title were, in this instance, used for a purpose.

To seek attention of forum members. Alerting them to a possible costly scam.

The remainder of the post was written as it should be, normal font, without 'shouting'

I see nothing wrong with the post or the manner in which it was written.

As a Facebook user it certainly alerted me to the scam.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 12