cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBC Radio 2 Beatles’ digital radio pop-up station to celebrate Abbey Road’s 50th Anniversary

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

Might be of interest to some of our members........

BBC Radio 2 will celebrate the 50th anniversary of The Beatles’ Abbey Road album with RADIO 2 BEATLES, a four-day pop-up DAB radio station.

Further reading........ https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2019/bbc-radio-2-beatles

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

50th Anniversary? God I feel old joy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 23

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25016 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks so much for that @MI5 

That`s me entertained for four days Bouncy Drum Happy Dance

and will have something to post on the What are doing this weekend? thread Fantastic

50 years? Do I feel old? Nooooooo - The Beatles` music is and always will be timeless.

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 3 of 23

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I am just watching This Morning.

One of the presenters rolled out a rubber zebra crossing outside the ITV studios in London....and a number of kids were dressed up and dancing to a Beatles track. When it finished the 'zebra crossing' was rolled up and off they went. Brilliant. Happy Dance

Apparently the album Abbey Road will be re-released on Friday...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 23

Mi-Amigo
  • 25016 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

What we should also have is a re-screening of the film accompanying the whole album which was shown on BBCTV on the release date of the original Abbey Road album.

I well remember watching it. It featured photo montages, videos of members of the band, of all the songs and  an amazing specially produced cartoon for Maxwell`s Silver Hammer [ and is referred to in Mark Lewisohn`s iconic reference work on the Beatles recordings].

The BBC Abbey Road album film has never been shown since.

Come on Beeb, get your finger out and sort it - pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease.   

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 5 of 23

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I think we need to keep a close eye on BBC 4, as that's the channel usually showing concerts and music.

As it was the opening sequence on ITV's This Morning, I can't see the BBC missing a chance of showing it.

I know they are doing the 4 days on Radio 2 but think there is a lot more they can do....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 23

jonsie
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Brilliant, I will be tuning in for this on Radio 2 I missed This Morning so a bit sick about that!

Message 7 of 23

Mi-Amigo
  • 25016 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I missed ITV This Morning - would love to see the zebra crossing scene...

Further to my post about the Abbey Road album film, the only part which is available to view, and was made as a promo for the Beatles` single, is Something.

enjoy:

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 8 of 23

jonsie
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

That's one I've seen may many times but no less enjoyable seeing it again so cheers for that @Mi-Amigo although it is quite a poignant video too. It's one that makes us think about our own mortality.

Message 9 of 23

Mi-Amigo
  • 25016 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

A bit of detective work and I have found a bit more information on the Abbey Road film.

A post on youtube reproduces comment from Rowan Myers for BBC Line-up in 1969 along with repro of graphics used for Maxwell`s Silver Hammer.

Youtube also has a very very brief part [4 secs] of film for Come Together:

The BBC, allegedly, claim the original Late Night Line Up Abbey Road film no longer exists.

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 10 of 23