Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Awakening Sleeping BEEuties

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10764 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions

hthttps://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Off-Topic/sleeping-BEEuties/m-p/1160526/highlight/true#M116627tps://...

From last year they were Sleeping Beeuties 2018 to

This year 2019  again these little kind and sweet bees have caught me unaware and when I opened

the sleeping box there were a few anxious looking faces!  So up went the boxes sharpish

and they were put on top to feel the fresh air and off they flew ~ they'll be back always

to the same spot they first remember.

These are the boxes facing South in the hot sun.  

WP_20190402_13_03_54_Pro (3).jpgWP_20190402_13_49_37_Pro (2).jpgThis is a box with                                                                                 an emerging bee under the release box top.

Wildlife have no respect for photographers!

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 1 of 505
504 REPLIES 504

TallTrees
  • 10764 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions
Fantastic @Anonymous
What a wonderful little bird 😁

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 371 of 505

TallTrees
  • 10764 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions
Sunny 🌞🌞🌞but chilly loads of birds all kinds in enjoying the sunflower hearts in the feeders❤❤

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 372 of 505

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25134 Posts
  • 809 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Sunny and cold here in the West Midlands @TallTrees and I`ve got woodpigeons having a feats on berries left on near bare tree outside my front window.

By the way, what birds love sunflowers? I`m just curious.. Thoughful

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 373 of 505

TallTrees
  • 10764 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions
Hi @Mi-Amigo Sunflower Hearts without shells 😁
All of our British Birds. There are ground feeders like the Blackbirds, Dunnocks that prefer eating on the ground so I put sunflower seeds down for them but acrobatic blackbirds can get to the feeders. The woodpigeons would gobble up everything and the little birds would get nothing, so try to discourage them but they are very determined.
Nuthatches, Blue t*ts Coal t*ts Longtail t*ts Great t*ts Chaffinches, Greenfinches, Goldfinches, Wren they prefer grubs etc. not seeds Robin's like all seeds but prefer beetles and spiders! Well done Robin😁 Great spotted Woodpeckers. Green woodpecker prefer ants. Never seen them eat seeds. Thrushes like them prefer snails. House sparrows. Bullfinches. Siskins. Serins. Magpies can get to feeders. Have a Treecreeper but not seen on feeders. Have got visiting Starlings, not on feeder come here for ants. Gold Crest not seen on feeders. Some of the ground feeders eat under the feeders because messy eaters like the Greenfinches drop seeds down very handy for the little adorable Dunnocks.
All these birds eat morning and afternoon before light goes down. They also search all the bushes and trees for grubs too.
Well you did ask!🤭😁

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 374 of 505

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25134 Posts
  • 809 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Wow. Thanks @TallTrees for the detailed info on the birds` feeding preferences, much of which I didn`t know. thumbsup 

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 375 of 505

Anonymous
Not applicable

wild mice like sunflower seeds sunflower

Thank you @TallTrees for the detailed information above bird

Message 376 of 505

TallTrees
  • 10764 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions
You are welcome @Mi-Amigo
People can help wildlife in their outdoor space just in a small way helps alot. I was walking to shops and noticed a bird feeder outside a window on a first floor flat, special feeders for windows. Birds are very adaptable they know a feeder if they see one😁 also very interesting and nice watching them.

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 377 of 505

TallTrees
  • 10764 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions
Yes @Anonymous and I have those too dashing under the bird feeders, so funny they are so quick often can't be sure not a Dunnock who also love hiding in nearby bushes.

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 378 of 505

Anonymous
Not applicable

Nature:

Thought of you today @TallTrees 

I saw 4 hedge sparrows having a bath in 2 muddy puddles along the towpath bird

Message 379 of 505

TallTrees
  • 10764 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions
Nature: Thanks @Anonymous
That gives me a wonderful picture in my mind. I love those little birds😍 can just imagine them enjoying a muddy puddle!
Last night I saw the little mouse dashing about outside so funny.
Thanks for posting made my evening happy 😁

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 380 of 505