Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Awakening Sleeping BEEuties

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10763 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions

hthttps://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Off-Topic/sleeping-BEEuties/m-p/1160526/highlight/true#M116627tps://...

From last year they were Sleeping Beeuties 2018 to

This year 2019  again these little kind and sweet bees have caught me unaware and when I opened

the sleeping box there were a few anxious looking faces!  So up went the boxes sharpish

and they were put on top to feel the fresh air and off they flew ~ they'll be back always

to the same spot they first remember.

These are the boxes facing South in the hot sun.  

WP_20190402_13_03_54_Pro (3).jpgWP_20190402_13_49_37_Pro (2).jpgThis is a box with                                                                                 an emerging bee under the release box top.

Wildlife have no respect for photographers!

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 1 of 505
504 REPLIES 504

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mi-Amigo wrote:

Wow. Had beautiful butterfly [like the one in the large pic posted by @Anonymous - Red Admiral ?] in my garden today. First time in a long time - lovely to see slight_smile

That's wonderful @Mi-Amigo smiling

Message 281 of 505

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25128 Posts
  • 809 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for the pic @TallTrees - now that is cricket which I would watch joy and thanks all for comments on butterflies.

To be honest, I am no expert on butterflies and do get confused over different ones, so can anyone please enlighten me as to what Red Admirals, Painted Ladies, look like? 

btw the one which I saw in my garden disappeared shortly after I posted seeing it and hasn`t returned.

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 282 of 505

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122787 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@Mi-Amigo 

Painted Lady butterflies come to the UK every year, though apparently this year has seen the largest amount for 10 years

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-49210010

Red Admirals.... these are more common

Image result for Red Admiral butterfly Images

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 283 of 505

Mi-Amigo
  • 25128 Posts
  • 809 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you @Cleoriff - that really helps, it was a Red Admiral which I saw in my garden .

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 284 of 505

TallTrees
  • 10763 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions
Hi @Mi-Amigo
I have great difficulty in recognizing the butterflies and the one I put on a video ...would not open it's wings, but I carefully looked at the information I have which also shows wings closed so yeah got it. I haven't seen any painted ladies (of any kind😁).
I was sitting in the garden few days ago and saw a Buzzard gently and extremely silently fly into the tree tops above me, probably looking out for lunch 😀
I tried to photo it but....nothing hangs around for me I only managed to photo empty branches😡
That cricket wasn't too bothered.
I also tried to photo the lovely colourful dragonflies that come in regularly but as soon as they see the camera they're gone.
Well done to see a butterfly!!!

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 285 of 505

Mi-Amigo
  • 25128 Posts
  • 809 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi guys

I`ve just had my local weekend newspaper delivered and thought I`d share an interesting article in it, by gardener Diarnuid Gaven with you.

He wrote some interesting information on hoverflies, which resemble wasps with its markings as nature`s way to avoid it being attacked by birds, and whats more don`t sting and help pollinate various plants and flowers.

The article also include mention of the National Botanic Gardens of Wales, near Carmarthen, where its Bee Garden is home to approx half a million honey bees, as well as tropical butterflies in its Butterfly House. Info on the garden can be found here

I imagine @TallTrees might well be making a trip there some time soon slight_smile 

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 286 of 505

TallTrees
  • 10763 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions
Hello @Mi-Amigo
Sounds brilliant thanks for posting the info
They do seem to have 499,000 more bees than I do (at the moment 🤔)
Hoverfly larvae eat greenfly so they are great for the garden.
That would be a fabulous trip for me.
In the meantime I have to breed a considerable amount of bees to catch up, so could be beezy for some time 😄🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 287 of 505

Anonymous
Not applicable

Nature: the peacock butterfly

Had one of these in my bedroom the other day ... tried to encourage it to fly out the open window with no result ... after falling asleep noticed the butterfly must have found it's own way out smiling

Image result for images of common british butterflies

Message 288 of 505

TallTrees
  • 10763 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions
Hi @Anonymous
Lovely butterflies and they over winter here.
Glad it found its way out.

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 289 of 505

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122787 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Lovely butterfly @Anonymous 

Sadly I've only noticed the white cabbage butterfly in my garden this year. Having said that, I'm not out there constantly so there may have been others. The cabbage butterfly is so bright it can be seen from where I sit in the lounge.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 290 of 505