Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Awakening Sleeping BEEuties

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10672 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

hthttps://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Off-Topic/sleeping-BEEuties/m-p/1160526/highlight/true#M116627tps://...

From last year they were Sleeping Beeuties 2018 to

This year 2019  again these little kind and sweet bees have caught me unaware and when I opened

the sleeping box there were a few anxious looking faces!  So up went the boxes sharpish

and they were put on top to feel the fresh air and off they flew ~ they'll be back always

to the same spot they first remember.

These are the boxes facing South in the hot sun.  

WP_20190402_13_03_54_Pro (3).jpgWP_20190402_13_49_37_Pro (2).jpgThis is a box with                                                                                 an emerging bee under the release box top.

Wildlife have no respect for photographers!

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 1 of 505
504 REPLIES 504

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35218 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions
Message 401 of 505

TallTrees
  • 10672 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions
How fantastic @pgn
Thank you for the link, really enjoyed the read.
That man is just cool.
I will endeavor to match both stories but don't hold your breath 🥵
I have read several articles recently one study found that solitary bees were very choosy about where to set up home and took various signs into account regarding safety possible predators nearby, looking for good neighbours and neighbourhoods just like humans🤭🐝🐝🐝

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 402 of 505

pgn
  • 35218 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

Not so good news for bees... Sadly, but thought you might be interested, @TallTrees.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/oct/24/washington-state-murder-hornet-nest-destroyed

Innovative use for dental floss, too, I thought! 

Message 403 of 505

TallTrees
  • 10672 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions
Thank you @pgn
Reading that it seems like an invasive species of Asian Hornet (Giant).
I believe we are not to escape that either.
Hornets kill bees anyway but that would be natural for the bees they have defences for that.
The other evening I saw a huge hornet flying by, looked larger than our home Hornets.
My box plants suffered with the invasion of chinese box plant moth. Dealt with them sharpish 😡

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 404 of 505

pgn
  • 35218 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

This was the clever bit, @TallTrees - dental floss and tiny radio transmitters to track down the nest - genius!

Screenshot_20201025-163533.jpg

It only needs one... 

Message 405 of 505

TallTrees
  • 10672 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions
I read that too and thought ingenious - impossible to follow one of those Hornets @pgn
Seems as if WE have much to blame China for now!
Those moths I mentioned earlier invading all our Stately homes box plants topiary they devour them hundreds on the stems. Once these very old plants gone it takes years to replace. Mine are over 20years old so I was lucky to see them before they took hold, I spent several days picking them off by hand .. I enlisted helpers too because they are very hard to see.
My back was aching so sat on a stool.🥵
The females lay hundreds of eggs. It was a nightmare.
Scary what next?

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 406 of 505

pgn
  • 35218 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

The Box Moth, yes I looked at some photos on RHS website, looks to be voracious, @TallTrees. Glad you managed to clean your box plants, sounds like a trial though. Perhaps a spray may help next year, something that sits on the leaves of the plant but that is toxic to the caterpillars of the Box Moth when they hatch?

Thankfully, not many things go for holly, which is what we have as a hedge along our front lawn - all we have to watch out for is interlopers hacking lumps of it, with berries, off around Christmastime angry

Now the ash tree at the back, well, we try to keep an eye on it for Ash Dieback Disease - it seems ok so far, but the disease is around, a nasty fungal disease... not as easy. Alas, the Emerald ash borer beetle is another critter to watch out for - and that IS yet another import from Asia!

Message 407 of 505

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Yet there is nothing unfortunately, which will kill the two Leylandii we planted in our garden 45 years ago when we moved in.

New to the game, we were simply looking for plants and shrubs to fill a new build empty garden.

I've had them chopped back every 2 years and will be booking a tree surgeon to fell them before the year is out.

Oh what mistakes we make when young and green. rofl

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 408 of 505

TallTrees
  • 10672 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions
Yes @pgn I reported the box moth invader to the RHS as they are tracking them in the country. I spray now unfortunately but I have to. I clip them to stop them flowering so that bees don't use them. I also put up a pheromone trap got two moths in April. They have a long year cycle menacingly so I have to put up a new P.Trap in October as well, none so far and no Caterpillars.
Pity many of our native trees have difficulties of one thing or another. The conker tree is dying of some disease too.

We have all made the Leylandii mistake @Cleoriff
See many looking half dead brown one side green other terrible .

Waiting for planning permission to take some branches off The Pines as all have Tree preservation orders on.
So hoping to have the tree surgeon here too.
Good luck with the chopping of Leylandii..
Goodbye Leylandii and Goodbye Pine branches yipee!!

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 409 of 505

Anonymous
Not applicable

Goiling along with the leylandii and big tree theme

25+ years ago I bought my home

In the yard were 8 old style chimney pots ... = ... how bare ... ... ... I gave them away to my sister and mum who both had gardens they could use to put plants in the tops 

I bought leylandii = very small really - in pots to go around the edge of the yard to disguise an old 4' 6" high badly painted stone wall ... ... ... they grew quick which pleased me

I was given various shrubs / trees in pots, grown too big for my family and friends

Suffice all went well until the leylandii became too big and heavy for their pots - dieback ... they were cut down and the stumps put in black bags for the green wheelie bin.

Back on track with bees: I have ordered some honey based creme from an organic company to enable a good night's sleep ... it is supposed to be the magnesium which gets into the body through my feet which promotes peaceful sleep ... ... ... it is supposed to arrive today ... ... ... ... ... to be continued. 

Message 410 of 505