Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Awakening Sleeping BEEuties

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10765 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions

hthttps://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Off-Topic/sleeping-BEEuties/m-p/1160526/highlight/true#M116627tps://...

From last year they were Sleeping Beeuties 2018 to

This year 2019  again these little kind and sweet bees have caught me unaware and when I opened

the sleeping box there were a few anxious looking faces!  So up went the boxes sharpish

and they were put on top to feel the fresh air and off they flew ~ they'll be back always

to the same spot they first remember.

These are the boxes facing South in the hot sun.  

WP_20190402_13_03_54_Pro (3).jpgWP_20190402_13_49_37_Pro (2).jpgThis is a box with                                                                                 an emerging bee under the release box top.

Wildlife have no respect for photographers!

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 1 of 505
504 REPLIES 504

TallTrees
  • 10765 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions
Ah I just pipped you to the post for once 😀 @Cleoriff 😃

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 41 of 505

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Not seen any bees 🐝 today but I've seen a wasp on this glorious summers day . ... It's dead now... I'm going to hell ain't I? 

Message 42 of 505

TallTrees
  • 10765 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Not seen any bees 🐝 today but I've seen a wasp on this glorious summers day . ... It's dead now... I'm going to hell ain't I? 

The time has come The Walrus said to speak of many things of shoes and ships and sealing wax : of cabbages and Kings -and why the sea is boiling hot and whether wasps should die Thinking

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 43 of 505

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

@TallTrees wrote:

Cancelled as not good will try again  ;   Made it larger so better ~ smiley

This is my first attempt of showing a video of the bees coming and going @liggerz87 

hope it works, if not back to the drawing board.

Putting in a photo of the little bees in the tubes (close up)

WP_20190406_12_37_31_Pro (2).jpgtwo little ones bottom

Thank you @TallTrees for the vid & enlarged pic ... lovely to see the 2 little bees in their tubes ... did you make the tubes yourself & what are they made from please

Just to add the 2 flocks of sparrows I support have about 10% of their suet & seed filled coconut halves left, I put them up on Thursday ... I have bulk bought them off Ebay 

Message 45 of 505

TallTrees
  • 10765 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions
Hi @Anonymous
So pleased you enjoyed the video and photo, they look so cute in the tubes, so funny 😁 The tubes are card board with a paper insert. They could be made but would be difficult and take ages, as I need about 200 tubes. The cardboard outer is reusable , I replace the paper insert when they are used. I buy them from a cj wildlife. Those sparrows are enjoying a feast 🎂🍰🍦🍩🍨😁😀🕊🕊🕊🕊🕊

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 46 of 505

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Thanks for sharing the video @TallTrees ! Great to see the bees in action and it looks like a fair few are active already. smiling

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 47 of 505

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Awesome, well done with the video @TallTrees ! The bees in the tubes look so cute peeking out like that. grin

You mentioned you sit under the boxes observing the bees come and go sometimes. I'd be fascinated and scared at the same time, what if they would come at me if I accidentally move in what they might perceive as threatening way, and sting me. open_mouth Or do these ones sting?

Message 48 of 505

TallTrees
  • 10765 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions

Thank you @Martin-O2  the weather changed to chilly but they are flying around

again and more are emerging ~ so I am hoping for a great season of lots of new

happy bees!yahoo

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 49 of 505

TallTrees
  • 10765 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions

Hello @Marjo  and thank you ~ no ~ these bees do not have a sting :  actually when I peer close up

they are scared and fly off or go further down the tube ~ sweeties!

When I stand back they fly around me and passed me , they are really concentrating.  They are waiting for the girls to come out of the "release box" at the very top of the tubes so actually they couldn't

care less about me!  The girls come out a week or so after the boys. That is why they are flying

about the boxes : they go off for a bit  and feed up on some nectar and pollen and then come back to 

check if any girls have emerged ~ aren't they just super.yahoo

Talking to the post lady yesterday as the boxes are just above the letter box!  She was ok with it I told her they wouldn't sting ~ she was fascinated said Oooh those boxes work!

Glad everyone is understanding and happy too laughing

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 50 of 505