cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are high handset prices a security risk to owners?

Anonymous
Not applicable

So we've got an increasing number of flagship phones at £800-£1000 retail.

Good news if you own shares in the manufacturers as the company earns a bigger margin per unit sold.

However one thing always concerns me.

Given that phone owners tend to wander round staring down at their phones oblivious to what is going on around them (a bugbear of mine along with people looking at their phone while engaged in conversation)  I do wonder if it's going to exacerbate the problem of theft?

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Interesting thread @Anonymous! 

I think it's always going to be a problem. I was reading an article about the recent spike in moped thefts of mobiles and the parts alone can get a few hundred pounds from a top end mobile. I think the best approach is to be insured and cautious when out and about to minimise the risks. 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 11 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

I did read some years back that the GSM Association (the trade body that operators and equipment manufacturers can join) ran a hosted IMEI blacklist service but only UK operators were using it.

Message 12 of 15

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@Anonymous Yes I think without international adoption blacklists don't work well as stolen devices just get sent overseas. 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 13 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd like to see operators compelled by regulators to comply but there are some areas of the world where a manila envelope stuffed full of currency trumps what is the right thing to do.

Message 14 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, as said above  ^  ^  ^  ^  ^  I agree

& ... I also despair when I see the town's senior school's pupils wending their way home be it by school bus, walking or meandering across busy roads to the train station ignoring Pelican crossings & doing so in herds oblivious to the traffic & yes expensive iphones etc glued to their ears chattering away to their mates nearby = in a world of their own ... slight_frown

Message 15 of 15