Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Fined For Slowing iPhones

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Apple have been fined for slowing older(?) iPhones down to, in their words, preserve the battery life and not to'force' customers to upgrade to a newer model.

The fine is £21M which in all honesty is merely a slap on the wrist to a company like Apple! Not nearly enough in my opinion!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-51413724

When you look at the list of devices it lists phones that I wouldn't class as 'old' models.

From the article ::

Does Apple still slow down older iPhones?

Yes. Since Apple confirmed the practice in 2017, it has implemented it on several more iPhones including:

• iPhone 6, 6 Plus, 6S, 6S Plus
  • iPhone SE
  • iPhone 7 and 7 Plus
  • iPhone 8 and 8 Plus running iOS 12.1 or higher
  • iPhone X running iOS 12.1 or higher
  • iPhone XS, XS Max and XR running iOS 13.1 or higher

The setting is only enabled when the battery begins to degrade, and iOS now offers clearer information to consumers about when performance management has been switched on.

"The effects of performance management on these newer models may be less noticeable due to their more advanced hardware and software design," Apple said

I just wonder if this could possibly have anything to do with reports on here and elsewhere of the X and XR continually losing network connection? The last iOS update has allegedly fixed this although some customers claim it hasn't.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

No wonder my eldest son is constantly moaning about the speed of his iPhone 6!!

I did offer to help him upgrade to the 7 but I see that has the same problem!

Bloody disgraceful action from Apple.

Are they so worried about profit that they want people to feel obliged to buy a top of the range device?

Disgusting!!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's very disappointing as I'm quite the Appleaholic. My 6S Plus isn't doing too badly. Battery on 94% health & fast enough for my fat fingers!

I wonder how much the difference is?

Message 3 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

They either need to make the next one with a removable battery or make it cheaper to replace them

Message 4 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I've always thought these phones with non removable batteries are a real con.... It's just because they want you to buy another phone I think!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 8

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Maybe part of it but they are all replaceable if you know how.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Maybe part of it but they are all replaceable if you know how.

I realise that but not everyone is so technical minded. It would be far easier to have removeable batteries surely?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 8

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
For sure, but apparently customers want ultra thin phones.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 8