cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else sick of hearing the letters GDPR?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not complaining about the tightening of the law but had enough of the e-mails and TV coverage, have you?

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Certainly am fed up of it. I shop for everything online and I am constantly bombarded with emails....

What amuses me, is the different methods they have in place. Varies from company to company

Some it's a simple click to say yes or no...others it's a very long drawn out process where you MUST read the privacy policy before you are allowed to continue.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff

Had to do online training at work followed by a quiz which is understandable but has compounded my boredom with the whole thing :), just like the rest of the working population.

Message 3 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Thank god I have retired then @Anonymous.

Though I'm unsure what sort of involvement the NHS would have  with this. Just look at the data we hold on patients. Fear

I have just read this BBC report regarding the effect on Tech companies

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-44239126

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff

You'd have had to go through it no doubt.

The principles are pretty much common sense:

•  Collect only the info you need to carry out your business.
  • Use it for only those purposes and ask if you want to do anything else with it.
  • Keep it secure
  • Securely remove it when you no longer need it.

Message 5 of 16

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

Yes, I find it all tedious, but it was necessary, and long overdue. The good news is that once tomorrow's deadline comes and goes, the emails will start to taper off and eventually stop.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 6 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

All NHS Employees are  bound by a code of confidentiality as part of their contract..

I think we would probably have held a series of workshops for departmental heads...making it their responsibility to cascade the information down to their respective staff. (This presumption is made purely on how I would have handled it as head of training and development aeons ago) Fear

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 16

Shaun-2018
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

so, if you decided to opt out of marketing or other subs as per GDPR.  how do you know, 1) that relevant data that needs deletig IS deleted? and in case  2), assuming you have actually opted INTO a mailig lst or whatever, how do you verify that the data you supply is properly  and securely stored?. more often than not personal data is stored over multiple "partner" services affiliated with the company or organization you are dealing with directly. add to that, there are some exemptions to GDPR compliance for data erasure and retention. while the GFPR serves a valid purpose, I can see scope for abuse of theese regulations.

Message 8 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Shaun-2018

If you have conncerns you can always complain to the ICO who can turn up unannounced to carry out an inspection.

But as you say, there will undoubtedly be loopholes

Message 9 of 16

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

The BBC have done a short quiz. How good is your knowledge about GDPR? I only got 6/9

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-44224802

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 10 of 16