cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anybody else have NO social media accounts ?

Projectionist
Level 12: Nimble
  • 275 Posts
  • 18 Topics
  • 8 Solutions

Got rid of the last one ( Twitter ) a month ago, Faecebook six months ago - got fed up with all the Election fiddling, and other dubious crap, including endless photos of pointless junk.

Strangely, not knowing what everyone ate for breakfast hasn't ruined my life....

Anyone else "taken back control"? ( No brexsh*t jokes pls tongue_winking )

Using Pixel 4 ( O2 + 1pMobile) , Samsung E1182 ( geosim + dtac)
Message 1 of 66
65 REPLIES 65

Jenny105
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

I have Facebook only   which I dabble with . The problem is the friends Id like to share with dont use computers, or doont have facebook.  

My best method is Whats App.   or   02. !!Wave

Message 51 of 66

Anonymous
Not applicable
I’m so glad there’s others who can’t see the fascination with social media!
Message 52 of 66

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10665 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions
@Anonymous ..... SOME have a strange need to show off as often and as much as possible! & use FB etc "get a life " I say. The rich and famous show off their holiday, one time a rich & famous fool had their house robbed, thieves knew everything 🤭🤭🤭🤭🤭🤭 In the meantime making Zuckerberg into a multi millionaire, he's having a laugh.

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 53 of 66

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Facebook has it's uses. I admit to using it to keep in touch with family and friends and it's great to see their holiday snaps and I put some on there when I'm away.

Not to show off, it's nice to see where people are, especially my youngest son who travels the world. He likes to see photos of my 'other' family, just as I like to see my grandchildren growing up when I'm thousands of miles away.

Not to see a plate of their lunch, simply keeping in touch.

When I was in a coma and in ICU for three months in a Thai hospital and at death's door. my son was able to update family and friends over here via Messenger (friends on here were of great comfort to me once I was able to communicate myself) Messages of support kept me going whilst I was so distressed. None of that was possible without social media.

I'm 6000 miles away from my wife, we chat every single day using LINE, the popular choice of the Thai people. How else would we keep in touch for the last 2½ years without social media? Texts and calls work out expensive and she wouldn' know one end of an email from a camel's backside!

And don't give me all that **** about Google and privacy. Do you think that your data and privacy are secure without social media? Nonsense!

Signing up to Android or Apple and you have given all your details. Take out a mobile contract and your number and all your personal details are immediately shared with their partners, then sold on by those partners to whoever wants it or has a use for it.

CTV follows your every move both in the street and in any shopping outlet. Scratch your ass and you can guarantee someone is watching you do it!

NPR tracks your route wherever you are driving on the motorway. Jeez, they don't even have to see you using your mobile whilst driving. Someone sat miles away in a little office with colleagues are watching you on cameras hidden in lampposts or traffic signs.

Privacy vanished in the nineties. Smartphones are just that, smart enough to tell Google or Apple or the police your every location, if only by pinging masts.

.....and finally, this is a COMMUNITY. Is this not social media....??

And btw, I'm another old fart wink

Message 54 of 66

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Absolutely well said @jonsie 

Without social media, none of us would have known about your accident, nor would we have been able to keep updated on your condition via your sons.

I know our messages of support helped to keep your spirits up, all via FB, Messenger and Whatsapp.

So for your friends it helped us as much as it helped you.

I certainly don't live my life on FB, although I do belong to a Formula 1 forum.

I keep in touch with my sons and grandson via Messsenger. One son travels to Goa a lot and my grandson is at University

Of course this community forum is a type of social media.

I'm also an old fart. wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 55 of 66

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well said @jonsie & @Cleoriff 

I'm an Old Fart too wink

Message 56 of 66

Anonymous
Not applicable
@TallTrees totally agree.. posting your life for all to see makes me shudder, but some of the members here have described a few benefits of social media but I’m still of the mind that.. if you’re a real friend you’ll have that persons number/address etc therefore making social media less useful. (Burgeoning friendships excluded) These people with 655 friends.. really ..friends? I don’t think so.. just more acquaintances to show your sad non existent life to.
But then again I’m a miserable old fart, with cynicism oozing from every orifice.
Message 57 of 66

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 58 of 66

welshsteve76
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 1554 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
@TallTreestotally agree.. posting your life for all to see makes me shudder, but some of the members here have described a few benefits of social media but I’m still of the mind that.. if you’re a real friend you’ll have that persons number/address etc therefore making social media less useful. (Burgeoning friendships excluded) These people with 655 friends.. really ..friends? I don’t think so.. just more acquaintances to show your sad non existent life to.
But then again I’m a miserable old fart, with cynicism oozing from every orifice.

Yes @Anonymous They are called "Friends", but it should be called "Connections" (as it is on LinkedIn). 

Thanks

Steve
Message 59 of 66

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie wrote:

Apparently they haven't found a cure for that yet @Anonymous LOL

I hope not! 😉

Message 60 of 66