cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anybody else have NO social media accounts ?

Projectionist
Level 12: Nimble
  • 275 Posts
  • 18 Topics
  • 8 Solutions

Got rid of the last one ( Twitter ) a month ago, Faecebook six months ago - got fed up with all the Election fiddling, and other dubious crap, including endless photos of pointless junk.

Strangely, not knowing what everyone ate for breakfast hasn't ruined my life....

Anyone else "taken back control"? ( No brexsh*t jokes pls tongue_winking )

Using Pixel 4 ( O2 + 1pMobile) , Samsung E1182 ( geosim + dtac)
Message 1 of 66
65 REPLIES 65

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

LOL

No can do I'm afraid @jonsie  ....I need something to keep my brain active, and whilst they do that job, I will carry on posting in *those 3 threads*

As I said, it's a matter of personal choice. I for one, like the fact we agree to disagree. kissing_heart

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 31 of 66

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25016 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

I hope everyone get the point I may be putting across badly, it's not whether people should continue to enjoy posting in those threads but more the point we should be able to opt out of a single thread rather than the whole of offtopic 🙂

@jonsieI agree with you that should be an option rather than an "all-or-nothing" option of opting-in or opting-out of the whole of "off topic".

As a relatively newcomer, I, of course, have no experience of what the forums were like previously, nor can I offer a reason why people post anywhere on the Community and then leave.

I realise that I have been guilty of creating a number of threads in off-topic, some of which seems to be popular, others less so. Equally, I read and post those threads which attract my attention or even my curiousity and the choose whether or not to post.

To me, it down to personal choice. We all have different interests and opinions. What makes this forum - or rather Community - different from social media is there are no trolls, bitterness, resentment, or insults. There is discussion - yes - but without argument and comments are made with respect and where there are differences it is not uncommon to read "we agree to disgree" accompanied by a smiley and a "handshake".

I spend time on "off topic" because it is an "escape", a place to have fun, not because of the posts which I have created, beut because it has become a happy part of my life and for that I am grateful. 

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 32 of 66

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

A quiz should have an end, once the answers have been found the quiz is done. With those relic game threads I'm guessing there must be at least 30 pages of repetition. I realise there are people who enjoy them but I get so frustrated when every one has to be re-opened in order to get rid of it from unread.  No sooner have you opened and closed it, another of the deadly trio appears.

That is why the new ones are refreshing.

Message 33 of 66

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I suppose the same could be said about the 'What are you listening to now' thread?

I 'could' say I was listening to anything and it 'could' be a complete lie. That requires no use of brain power whatsoever.

However some people like it...so in the words of the song, Let it Be thinking

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 34 of 66

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

I suppose the same could be said about the 'What are you listening to now' thread?

I 'could' say I was listening to anything and it 'could' be a complete lie. That requires no use of brain power whatsoever.

That thread s merely a reward qualifier....wink

Message 35 of 66

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

@Cleoriff wrote:

That thread s merely a reward qualifier....wink

Now here I agree with you both. Well said Handshake

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 36 of 66

welshsteve76
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 1554 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

The only one I have that I guess could be classed as social media is LinkedIn, but that's a business thing.

I don't do twitter, facebook, instagram or anything like that as I simply do not see the point of them.

Thanks

Steve
Message 37 of 66

Anonymous
Not applicable

@welshsteve76 wrote:

The only one I have that I guess could be classed as social media is LinkedIn, but that's a business thing.

I don't do twitter, facebook, instagram or anything like that as I simply do not see the point of them.

I get the point of Twitter, as it's about connecting people in real time. For breaking news, that's really useful for reporting events as they're actually happening. I'm not signed up to it, but there are a few journalists whose twitter feeds I regularly follow. It's a bit like community forums in that sense, in that there's plenty of information to read, without having to actually contribute.

But like community forums, you still have to sort the wheat from the chaff  wink

Message 38 of 66

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Remembering of course, what appears to be chaff for one person, could well be wheat to someone else @Anonymous wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 39 of 66

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

Remembering of course, what appears to be chaff for one person, could well be wheat to someone else @Anonymous wink

Yes, that's very true thinking

From a news perspective, I was thinking more about the credibility of the information that is posted. People are easily influenced by the comments that they read on social media, even when they contain inaccurate information. So you generally remember people who you think are more trustworthy in that respect.

But talking about content in general, you're quite right, and we're all entitled to our opinions in that respect.

Message 40 of 66