cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anybody else have NO social media accounts ?

Projectionist
Level 12: Nimble
  • 275 Posts
  • 18 Topics
  • 8 Solutions

Got rid of the last one ( Twitter ) a month ago, Faecebook six months ago - got fed up with all the Election fiddling, and other dubious crap, including endless photos of pointless junk.

Strangely, not knowing what everyone ate for breakfast hasn't ruined my life....

Anyone else "taken back control"? ( No brexsh*t jokes pls tongue_winking )

Using Pixel 4 ( O2 + 1pMobile) , Samsung E1182 ( geosim + dtac)
Message 1 of 66
65 REPLIES 65

Anonymous
Not applicable

The other thing to consider is how customer support is delivered via social media platforms, which might add a little more context to my previous comments.

Community forums offer a crowdsourced approach to technical support, which for the most part is very successful, because it involves like-minded people sharing their knowledge, based on their own experiences of a particular product / service. But every time a comment receives a kudos, or is accepted as a solution, people are subconsciously “sorting the wheat from the chaff”. That may seem like I’m being dismissive, but I’m talking about community forums in general, not this one specifically.

In some respects, it could be argued that it creates an unhealthy competition amongst community members. But that’s probably a discussion for another day.

Message 41 of 66

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

The other thing to consider is how customer support is delivered via social media platforms, which might add a little more context to my previous comments.

Community forums offer a crowdsourced approach to technical support, which for the most part is very successful, because it involves like-minded people sharing their knowledge, based on their own experiences of a particular product / service. But every time a comment receives a kudos, or is accepted as a solution, people are subconsciously “sorting the wheat from the chaff”. That may seem like I’m being dismissive, but I’m talking about community forums in general, not this one specifically.

I totally agree with that perspective @Anonymous . The 'annoying' thing is, the answer which receives a solution is NOT always the correct one, particularly when the OP comes back later and says that didn't work for them. Too late, solution has been given.

Same with kudos. If a post receives one, people's brains tend to accept that is a good answer or a correct one. So a 'follow my leader' subconscious mindset is produced which in turn influences others.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 42 of 66

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I totally agree with that perspective @Anonymous . The 'annoying' thing is, the answer which receives a solution is NOT always the correct one, particularly when the OP comes back later and says that didn't work for them. Too late, solution has been given.

Same with kudos. If a post receives one, people's brains tend to accept that is a good answer or a correct one. So a 'follow my leader' subconscious mindset is produced which in turn influences others.

+1

Message 43 of 66

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff 

It’s supposed to help people identify good quality posts, but clearly it’s never going to be a perfect feedback mechanism. With some forums it’s even possible to give negative feedback (e.g. a star rating system), but you can imagine the inevitable abuse that occurs whenever there’s any disagreement between community members. 

But it’s a difficult balance to strike, when community activity is dwindling, and it seems like  people need some form of validation for their contributions, so that they’re always motivated to keep posting. 

Message 44 of 66

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Yes @Anonymous  I have been a member of certain forums where negative feedback is allowed.

Totally abuses any system. Not forgetting the feelings of the individual who receives negative feedback

Quite destructive. Keyboard warriors let loose.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 45 of 66

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

There have been many fallings out on here  quite a few abusive posts too but these are reported and quickly (except weekends) deleted.

I think the community admin have this nailed down and do a great job of keeping the peace.

We can all give negative feedback but I wouldn't be a part of a community that had that option.

Posts can be read wrong or meanings misconstrued. Sort things out by a private message is the way to go on that. 

Message 46 of 66

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25016 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Well said, @jonsie thumbsup

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 47 of 66

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie wrote:

There have been many fallings out on here  quite a few abusive posts too but these are reported and quickly (except weekends) deleted.

I think the community admin have this nailed down and do a great job of keeping the peace.

We can all give negative feedback but I wouldn't be a part of a community that had that option.

Posts can be read wrong or meanings misconstrued. Sort things out by a private message is the way to go on that. 

I agree with you @jonsie 

Message 48 of 66

Cellular_Data
  • 19 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I've never used social media properly all my social media accounts are under Fake Names. As a example Joe Bloggs.

I re-call using Facebook for a very short period of time when I was little and I absolutely hated the idea of simply searching for someone on Facebook and seeing all their life on Facebook and seeing their Girlfriends/Boyfriends, Age, Location, School, occupation, Posting Pictures with identifying information like street names in backgrounds etc. I had a thought... Do I want other people seeing all that information about me or even someone who I don't know.

I almost considered it as borderline stalking.

I re-call a person when I was in college a individual who was so impressed about passing his driving test and so proud of himself he actually published a copy of his Driving Licence on Facebook.

I believe social media is good in some aspects but I think the information they gather and what people are willing to share on Social Media platforms is a majoirty of the time too much.

Message 49 of 66

Anonymous
Not applicable

I dabbled with Facebook back in 2007 for about a month and found it extremely boring so requested my account be deleted.

Dabbled with Twitter to track the official accounts of Microsoft, Intel and Cisco but got bored and ditched that too.

Had a Linked in profile for nearly six years with my connections consisting of those I'd worked for or with but got rid of that too in February as they just sent me stuff I didn't really care about.

I don't miss any of them and most of the time I don't have time as work keeps me busy (I booked today off otherwise I'd not be posting at this time of day)

Message 50 of 66