Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another 5 years?

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Seem to have been here before...another 5 years for those of us with limited broadband speed....why?

Fast broadband for all by 2020 pledged by David Cameron - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34753331

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

I missed O2 broadband for a long time, I had a solid 21Mb~22Mb down and 1Mb up with it, which was sufficient for me then. Now that things like ultra HD etc are becoming more of a reality 30Mb is a minimum speed for me (25Mb for the ultra HD etc and 5Mb to spare for casual activity.)

Message 11 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

We had Sky Broadband until recently and have now switched to Virgin Media.  I generally get 80-100MB but I did get 200MB when my laptop was cabled (and that was before the upgrade).  I'm happy with than when I was getting less than 1MB from Sky.  When we complained they said that was acceptable due to the distance we are from the exchange!  Now I have no idea where the exchange is but I live in a normal town, not in the middle of nowhere!

Message 12 of 14

jonsie
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

I had the same problem with Sky. I was with them paying full subscription for 25 years, god knows how much I spent with them. 3Mb maximum due to distance from exchange....strange as I checked with BT...same line, same distance and they assured me I could get 15 Mb. ..

Chose Virginia because at the time BT didn't have the TV package and I wanted to keep everything as one source. I got 95Mb  with Virginmedia and I believe I've been 'supercharged ' while I've been over here.  So I don't get Sky Atlantic now and maybe a few other channels but to be honest, free view would do me these days which I can get through the sky box.

I tried to screw sky for a better deal but they would only offer me half price broadband for 6 months... £7.50 but it meant I was tied in for another 12 months....wth! On top of that, you owned the equipment therefore paying for any breakdown or call out charges. Must have gone through half a dozen cheap Salem routers before they upgraded to a decent free router!

So moved to Virginmedia ,  half price everything for 6 months, the option to suspend subscription for the 7 or 8 months a year in in Thailand and a saving of £25 a month for the family package. No films but downloading films or streaming the movies I actually want to watch is easy enough and most of all,  free!

The issues with Sky.....Programmes never vary... Sky One for example, I love Star Trek but for gods sake...Every day at 5 and 6pm, Star Trek on an endless recycle. All the films rotate from the various movie channels, repeated endlessly, even the Premiere movies, same time, same place, just a different day....

To cap it all, I told them where to stick their subscription, they received notification from Virginmedia to change the phone line and 3 days later I get a phone call from Sky offering me the earth to stay with them. Hello....everything has been changed over! I say why couldn't you offer me anything to retain my custom? Work it out, it's too painful for me, 25 years bordering on £90/month...scary!

Every two weeks I get spam mail from them offering me the earth but no cable available in my area so I would be back to square one. Sky....never again!

Ok rant over, excuse any spelling errors. ....

Message 13 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 122909 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

We moved from Virgin Media to BT...suits our needs here. We can have 3 laptops 2 mobiles and 2 Xboxes going with very little lagging anywhere ....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 14 of 14