Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android Security

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

I found a link about Android Security and how passwords can be parsed and stolen.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2012/10/android-apps-expose-passwords-e-mail-and-more/

Personally I use Comodo Mobile Security and DroidWall firewall which uses the IP Tables method to round-robin check incoming and outgoing data.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

Interesting article. Thanks for posting it.

At the moment I'm using Lookout Security & Antivirus, which seems to work fine for me. I'm thinking of trying Avast, which I use on my laptop and which I like very much. The Droidwall firewall you mentioned can only be used if your phone is rooted. Same with the firewall within Avast.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 6

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

I have no security on my Android phone and have no problems.

Oh wait, I don't have an Android phone Smiley LOL Smiley LOL Smiley LOL Smiley LOL Smiley LOL Smiley LOL

Seriously though, this could be an interesting discussion on why mobile phones need additional security.

Message 3 of 6

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

I think this is a very good topic for discussion too. Mobile phones aren't just phones any more, but mini computers. Just as you have protection for your home computers or laptops, the same now holds true for phones. Personally, I wouldn't think of doing anything that had to do with banking on a phone or storing credit card details on it, but many people do. I think the idea of NFC is great, but I'm not sure how secure it is yet.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 6

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

Yep. Conventional security solutions won't be effective as those that only run in rooted handset. Whilst having a locked kernel protects you from removing anything important by mistake, it also allows rogue applications access to parts of the system you can't access otherwise.

Like a Linux installation you need to be a root user to install anything important like drivers, prerequisite applications which are part of the default setup as well as system files. Unfortunately root access can mean voiding your warranty (if anything goes wrong) although many official updates replace the kernel with a standard one with less privellages.

I used to think it was unnecessary to protect a mobile telephone however my views have altered over the months. My applications to avoid would be heavily advertised free applications with permissions beyond their functionality (like Live Wallpapers with permissions to read your contacts and have Internet Access). My biggest evasion would be Facebook, as this is biggest going spyware going. I use it on my computer alas on there I have more control over how information is distributed.

As for the iPhone, hackers couldn't probably be bothered writing Malware which is probably patented anyway Smiley LOL. Also in some parts of the U.S., they will be introducing a radio filter which will disable your iPhone making is useless when in that same vicinity - such as the police, hospital, court and your data signal would also be shut-down so you couldn't use social networking websites for example.

OK I thought this was worth bringing to people's attention anyway.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 5 of 6

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Thanks for posting this anticpated! Very useful.
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 6 of 6