Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alzheimers: breakthrough trials

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122827 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

I have been given an article to read which gives some hope for sufferers of Alzheimers disease. This fascinating research took place in March 2015 and is currently ongoing.

Australian researchers from the Queensland Brain Centre have come up with a non-invasive ultrasound technology that clears the brain of neurotoxic amyloid plaques - structures that are responsible for memory loss and a decline in cognitive function in Alzheimer’s patients.

This initial research was undertaken on mice and of those tested... 75% had memory fuction restored. Remarkable results. The researchers are hoping to trial this non invasive treatment on humans by 2017

http://www.sciencealert.com/new-alzheimer-s-treatment-fully-restores-memory-function

I shall be following this research with great interest. Alzheimers is a terrible disease. Anything which improves the lives of those suffering with it, is to be commended.

Thanks @Bambino for the article

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
That is amazing, a breakthrough like that will dramatically improve the lives of sufferers of this cruel disease.
Message 2 of 7

Cleoriff
  • 122827 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Certainly not aiming to give anyone an anatomy and physiology lesson on a Sunday ...but this picture shows amyloid plaques and neurofibre tangles in the brain. All indicative of Alzheimers

Amyloid plaques.PNG

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 7

MI5
  • 144191 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27633 Solutions
Marvellous news. This disease is also distressing for the familes of sufferers. Hope the research remains positive !
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 7

blissgirl
Level 33: Firestarter
  • 7227 Posts
  • 46 Topics
  • 3 Solutions
I agree with @MI5 gret news though thanks for sharing it @Cleoriff slight_smile
iPhone 15 plus 128Gb light pink (with Vodafone) slight_smile
Message 5 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

thank you @Cleoriff for posting posting the article & to @Bambino for finding it for Cleoriff to add her comments on, particularly the diagram above  ^  ^  ^

I am currently awaiting literature from the charity Age UK to help me understand how to 'look after' my elderly, infirm & poorly parents

Imho my mum has the beginning of dementia, she has commented so herself a few years ago, has been to her GP, who has said mum is not yet ready to be referred to the medical practice's memory clinic

I don't know the difference between dementia & Alzheimer's disease ... ... ... but after recently being to my GP explaining how poorly I felt & mentioning how my mum's health was deteriorating ... ... ... well I have it in mind in the New Year, as I've learned something from Cleoriff here publicly on the forum in off-topic that I'm allowed to contact their GP, because I'm not next of kin, their GP may be able to ease my mind ... ... ... my own GP did say she would speak to their GP ... ... ... but its up to me to keep on top of the situation as I see it anyway

Yes, this article is positively encouraging to us all as we get older or who have relatives / friends with this debilitating condition

Thank you to Cleoriff & Bambino again 

Message 6 of 7

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Brilliant news. This is something that could affect any one of us as we get older. I fear suffering from this more than death itself.

We've seen some amazing breakthroughs this year and long may it continue. I'm hoping for a cure next for Parkinsons Disease which affects any age.

Message 7 of 7