cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Airlines - Another one bites the dust...

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35746 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1579 Solutions

The airline operating the only route from our local airport to London (Stansted), FlyBMI, went into administration yesterday.

A staff of 375 are jobless, and 17 ERJ145 twinjet planes are grounded. 

That's a bit of a b*mmer, but not as much as those stuck in some parts of Europe on their way back from skiing hols or whatever, who have to find a different way home.

Hope no forum members are stuck anywhere as a result. 🙏

https://luxtimes.lu/european-union/36518-flybmi-regional-airline-collapses-blaming-brexit-and-fuel-c...

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122769 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

A terrible shame. They have also said there will be no refunds.

So people abroad are spending most of their time looking for a flight to get back.:smileysad:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 6

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23038 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3668 Solutions

Another casualty of Brexit. Sadly, there will probably be many more to come.:smileysad:

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 6

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Part of it was the uncertainty about Brexit but airlines have been running off slim margins for many years and its not the first time airlines from any country goes bust at the weekend. They obviously know the situation but I'm guessing logistically, having the planes in certain places was going to be part of the administration package rather than being impounding abroad costing more in fees to return them. So there is act of dishonesty here that needs to be regulated better by law as they've been trading insolvent for months. 

However, its not just UK airlines, the BBC reports a few more recent European ones even surprisingly, Alitalia who should have gone bust years ago. Though reading through, I'm going to guess BMI may have been forced into the position by its owners deliberately a while back. I wouldn't be surprised if the assets were bid for successfully by a new company closely associated with the current/previous owners. 

But the other scam issue is the carbon footprint/trading which is going to cripple a lot more companies in the future as it only benefits financial traders and the Government tax collection agencies. 

Message 4 of 6

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

I feel for all their stranded customers having to make their way home at their own expense.

It's a damn shame but I don't think it will be the last. Most airlines work on a very tight budget and Brexit is going to hurt a lot!

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 5 of 6

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35746 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1579 Solutions
All sorted now: Loganair, another arm of a common parent (I believe), operating the same type of aircraft, has operated the twice-daily route LDY-STN since last Weds, and aims to continue the former's plans to start an LDY-MAN route once daily in a few days time.

It's a funny old world... 🤔
Message 6 of 6