cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A question about 21st century communication using mobile electronic devices

Anonymous
Not applicable

talking 1 to 1 in real life = having a verbal conversation together ..... only 7% of the words you speak count ie the rest is made up of tone of voice + facial expression + body language

now ..... let's consider/discuss personal communication using mobile electronic devices without the voice input or photos or eg Skype ..... how do you get the nuances across without tone of voice + facial expression + body language

I bow to my 'superiors' on here, as I am surprisingly new to modern day technology

I'm not Gadget Man

nor do I have to have the latest in any/every new mobile electronic device eg don't have the cash for one thing or the desire or the immense know-how to use them all slight_smile

I'd just be very interested to hear the regulars on here, & any others, their opinions please

thank you

WispaRed7 Cat Very Happy

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Jane

You are right some canbe lost in translation.

I find that emoticons help. 😄
Message 2 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
I find time and time again when people say they have fallen out or had a disagreement it is because of something in the written form i.e. text usually or email.

Then it takes a real conversation to resolve it and 90% + of the time it is simple misunderstandings.
Message 3 of 20

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Even emoticons can be used sarcastically 😉
Message 4 of 20

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Is all a matter of interpretation as Mauy said with the knife in her hand.

The most innocent remark can cause offence with friends and family especially in written form.  One2one  you can read intent or humour in eye and facial expression. A text for example can be taken the wrong way and people can have it on their mind for days. 

Having said that,  this world is a far different place than the one I grew up in. Good or bad? Sometimes we tend to look back wearing rose coloured spectacles. 

Message 5 of 20

Cleoriff
  • 122356 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I welcome all types of innovation....I do honestly. Technology has come a long long way.

I do worry about the 'art of conversation' being lost. I hate text speak and it is becoming more and more common. I suspect we will soon be seeing a teaching module on this very subject in our schools  LOL

Communication isn't just about what you say...we also have non verbal communication (body language gestures etc etc)..... and the written word.

The desired outcome of any communication process is understanding

I will now get down from my soapbox and apologies for 'going on'. I used to teach Communication Skills in a previous life. A subject very dear to my heart. Then, of course, there were very few mobile devices included in this teaching session....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
Isn't there a well known song that says "It's only words, and words are all I have, to take your heart away. "
Understanding is a vital part of communication, but not necessarily the ultimate aim. Often "agreement" or more usually "compliance" is the desired end irrespective of any understanding.
Message 7 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm still getting to grips with TxT Talk 😳
Message 8 of 20

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Is easy, just forget anything you were taught at school and speak like a 2 year old.....

Message 9 of 20

Cleoriff
  • 122356 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Isn't there a well known song that says "It's only words, and words are all I have, to take your heart away. "
Understanding is a vital part of communication, but not necessarily the ultimate aim. Often "agreement" or more usually "compliance" is the desired end irrespective of any understanding.

Each to their own desired outcome @Anonymous In nursing however, "understanding" IS the ultimate aim. We need to understand what we do and understand why we do it. It could be the difference between life and death.

My comments, of course, were based round my own personal background and experience....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 20