Did you mean: 

A flying warehouse over your head

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey guys, 

Amazon have recently filed a patent for a "flying warehouse". The idea is to have an airship at around 45,000ft which would be sent to areas where demand for goods is expected and then dispatch drones from the airship carrying the individual deliveries. 

It's hoped this system would help with the issue of the relatively short range of drones, which are limited by the size of the battery they can carry. Smaller airships could then be used to restock the larger warehouses and even transfer staff. 

What do you think about this? Are you happy to have a flying warehouse servicing your area or is the idea a bit much? 

droneAmazon.jpg

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 42
41 REPLIES 41

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12070 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
Think they are getting carried away now.
This is a bit like the helicarriers in the Marvel films.
Not a good idea...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 2 of 42

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

If the warehouse was stationed hovering above my house, they could just drop my parcel quickly whenever I ordered something and it would land directly to my backyard. Fantastic

Message 3 of 42

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@gmarkj it is going in that direction! 

@Marjo Yes you could have your items in minutes if the airship was close enough. 

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!

signature

Message 4 of 42

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122927 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

An airship hovering at 45,000 feet...which then dispatches drones??

As I am on the flight path for Birmingham Airport I would say no thank you very much. Fear

I also must be Amazons best customer so it would probably be hovering over the top of my house...LOL

I expect 'The Drone Lord Viridis' will have something to say about this  Dance

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 42

MI5
  • 144341 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
Ridiculous !
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 42

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions

@Martin-O2 wrote:

It's hoped this system would help with the issue of the relatively short range of drones, which are limited by the size of the battery they can carry. 

My "consumer" drone is limited to 8,000 meters by software. Remove that and it's however far you can get in 30 minutes at 55mph.

Message 7 of 42

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@Cleoriff Your place may not be the best spot to park one of these then Smiley Very Happy

@viridis That's quite an impressive range! Would a heavy payload affect the range on your drone? 

signature

Message 8 of 42

jonsie
  • 93234 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6978 Solutions

So is there going to be a warehouse over every country? The Russians, North Korea and the Chinese will be launching missiles....

Message 9 of 42

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions

@Martin-O2 wrote:

@Cleoriff Your place may not be the best spot to park one of these then Smiley Very Happy

@viridis That's quite an impressive range! Would a heavy payload affect the range on your drone? 

I imagine so, mine can lift a total of around 3kg but I know that the Amazon ones can lift a LOT more but choose to limit it very low weight items so the effect on their battery life will be 1-5%

Looking at the motors on the Amazon drone they testing recently, they are probably good for 10-20kg

Message 10 of 42