Did you mean: 

A few questions for Android lovers! :D

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi guys! How's your day going?

I've got a few questions related to your Android phones that I'd love to hear about! grin

Here goes:

• Which phone(s) do you have?
  • What's the best thing(s) for you in your Android phone?
  • What thing(s) are you not so satisfied with, and would like to change?
  • Customisation. There's a lot of things you can do with Android to make it more your own... How do you customise yours? slight_smile

Looking forward to your comments! 

Thanks!

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

paddyguy
Level 4: Observant
  • 157 Posts
  • 26 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
i like everything about it its just a good phone and my dad as the same phone as me and hes with vodafone top marks 😉
Message 11 of 21

Sammy_boy
Level 6: Acolyte
  • 171 Posts
  • 12 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
I'm generally an Apple guy at the mo but also have a OnePlus 3T I got secondhand at Cex. Absolutely brilliant phone, almost stock Android with a few tweaks like drawing a 'v' on the screen even when off activates the flashlight, and has a lightning quick fingerprint sensor. I don't like the size of the thing - don't like the current trend for ever bigger phones and Android ones particularly guilty. There's very few powerful, high end Android handsets out there. Love the dinky iPhone SE, my 6S is useable one handed too.
Message 12 of 21

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions

@Marjo wrote:

Sony Xperia X, XZ, XZ Premium, tablet Z3, tablet Z4

Cameras, speed and displays. 

Raw support and open implementation of camera2 api.

• Customisation. There's a lot of things you can do with Android to make it more your own... How do you customise yours? Smiley Happy

Generally I'll flash firmwares on the ones I can, for instance I regularly flash O2 firmware on them so I can run in 3G/4G mode only, UK and most other EU generic don't have this option. Now O2 have debranded their firmwares, it's win/win, especially now I can use VoLTE and WiFi calling.

Message 13 of 21

DDRomford
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 12 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
First of all, I make no excuses for what may be an unhealthy interest in mobile phones. To follow your bullet points:
- The phones I own at the moment are iPhone 7 Plus (rose gold), Sony Xperia XZ Premium (chrome), BlackBerry KEYOne, and the LG Stylus 3. I really have only hung on to the iPhone because it syncs with my Mac, Apple Watch and iPad Pro. I don't usually have more than two phones, but somehow, I can't seem to part with any of these at the moment, even though I know how fast they depreciate. Only two are on contract and that is my XZP (O2) and the Stylus 3 (only a tenner a month for 4 GB data and unlimited texts and calls with 3).
- I prefer Android because I have 128 GB memory cards which can be moved from phone to phone. This, in my opinion, is what I like best about Android, the ability to increase your storage for a fraction of the cost. I won't have an Android phone without a memory card slot. I have ripped a lot of my own CDs on my laptop and moved the music over to my SD cards. I guess this is "old school" as most stream their music these days, but I have a big collection of CDs (old and new) and I like having a lot of it on my phones.
The Sony XZP has the best resolution and sound quality and I have a Sony Bluetooth speaker to stream my music through from any phone.
The BlackBerry's keyboard is phenominal. You can set up two shortcuts on each key with a long press for one shortcut and a short press for the second. I love this phone. It's a workhorse and a phone for people who are a little bored.
The best thing about the LG is the stylus, but in all honesty, I could live without it. It was cheap to buy outright and allowed me to have a good tariff for a small outlay each month.
- The battery life on the BB KEYOne is amazing, but generally, it is the battery life on the phones that I would change. I guess you can't have everything and phones that do so much require power.
- To customise my phones, I find HD wallpaper to match the colour of the case I have on the phone, I put my apps in folders and name the folders, for instance, all the TV apps, YouTube, Netflix, Fire TV, etc are in a folder called Entertainment, Kindle and Audible are in a folder called Books, bus and train apps are in Travel, The Utilities folder consists of calculator, printing app, antivirus, etc. Using folders means I only have the home screen and the screen with all the folders. I also organise my photos into folders.
I bet quite a few have dropped off to sleep reading this by now! I don't have a lot of people in my life who I can bore with my enthusiasm about phones - until they are ready to upgrade and need to find the best deal. I do the research and report back.
I know I need to sell on at least two to three phones to get my next, but there is just nothing out there I want at the moment.
I used to be die-hard Samsung, but the Note 7 and my damaged S7Edge with an unsatisfactory outcome changed all that. I've moved on! Never say never though!
Message 14 of 21

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

@DDRomford wrote:

I bet quite a few have dropped off to sleep reading this by now! 

Nope! Love reading your comments @DDRomford and everyone else!! slight_smile Awesome to hear you have the Blackberry KeyOne. I miss my Blackberry phones and especially the keyboard a lot! open_mouth I could type without looking at my phone.

Message 15 of 21

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

@Sammy_boy wrote:
I'm generally an Apple guy at the mo but also have a OnePlus 3T I got secondhand at Cex. Absolutely brilliant phone, almost stock Android with a few tweaks like drawing a 'v' on the screen even when off activates the flashlight, and has a lightning quick fingerprint sensor. I don't like the size of the thing - don't like the current trend for ever bigger phones and Android ones particularly guilty. There's very few powerful, high end Android handsets out there. Love the dinky iPhone SE, my 6S is useable one handed too.

Wow you mean if you draw 'v' on the screen even when the phone is off, it works for the flashlight?? open_mouth grin @Sammy_boy

Message 16 of 21

Sammy_boy
Level 6: Acolyte
  • 171 Posts
  • 12 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Yep it even works with the screen off! You can set other gestures like opening the camera and skipping forwards and backwards in tracks too! You just have to watch you don't accidentally activate the flashlight when getting the phone out of pockets etc.  Very intuitive phone slight_smile

Message 17 of 21

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Gesture control is a feature found on many Chinese phones.
Can be very useful to set some of your most common actions to a single swipe slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 18 of 21

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions

@Marjo wrote:

I've got a few questions related to your Android phones that I'd love to hear about! grin

Here goes:

• Customisation. There's a lot of things you can do with Android to make it more your own... How do you customise yours? slight_smile

Thanks!

• Main phone - LG G4. Also have a Sony Z1, plus recently acquired a Galaxy Tab 2.
    • Customisation, removable battery, being able to increase storage, there's a (free) app for almost everything!
    • Battery life (hence removable battery), software updated sometimes a little delayed (still on Android 6.0, plus security patch 20**Personal info**!). Customisation can also be a negative - too much choice and too long to set up with all the options!
  • Customisation. There's a lot of things you can do with Android to make it more your own... How do you customise yours? :)
    • I'm a bit boring really - don't change the wallpaper, but do change the ringtone/message tone. Being able to have ringtones for specific people is great. Also have lots of folders to aggregate apps (news., sports, health, games, etc).
    • Have previously tried the whole custom ROM thing, but always found it a little too long winded for the result. Admittedly this was 5-6 years ago so no doubt has moved on since then!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 19 of 21

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35211 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

@Marjo wrote:

Here goes:

Thanks!

If you're still interested in hearing this stuff @Marjo:

1. OnePlus 3T

2. Actually the OnePlus 3T flap cover that turns the display off when you close it over, or on again when you open it (magnets, yes, I know)

3. The slider-button takes a bit of getting used to - up for Silent, down for Ring, center for Do Not Disturb. The slider resides on the side of the phone that's on the hinge-side of the flap cover.

4. Not too many customisations, and I am loathe to try a different loader (Nova?) to let me make the App Drawer transparent like I used to be able to do on my HTC.

Better late than never.

Message 20 of 21