Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Novelty, Or The Real Big Brother?

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23059 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

Amazon's new convenience store. No staff at all.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/01/21/inside-amazons-surveillance-powered-no-checkout-convenience-store/

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Novelty but some interesting tech there around the shelf weighting leading to replenishment as and when needed which is no doubt the one the big chains would be interested in having. Certainly help with reducing wastage and shelf life if its known when and what was placed. The RFID tech exists already to do that so perhaps this is overkill. 

But and here's the bit they've not considered as part of the testing: there's a certain type of shopper who likes to pick up things then go round then dump them. You know the type: cauliflowers in the freezer section, yoghurt in the cornflake aisle....

It may work for quick things like lunchtime but for your average supermarket shopper, this is just not needed or having any benefit to the weekly shopping experience.

Sheepdog in "I've done my time stacking shelves" mode

Message 2 of 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144294 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
Brilliant idea.
Hope it takes off.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 5

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122895 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

This is an entirely new concept for me re Amazon.

I shop with them a lot, always online and never buy any food from them
I had no idea they were even thinking of opening a convenience food type store. (I see it's in Seattle)

All that said, in today's society, it could work if you were just popping in for a lunchtime snack  Or knew exactly what you wanted. A bit annoying to pick something up and find a better item further on.

Personally, I wouldn't be interested. I shop online for everything, even groceries. On the rare occasions I go into supermarkets I never use the cashierless bagging areas. Always something goes wrong and a cashier has to come over and reset the machine. Not for me. I think it's gimmick. (others will disagree) Smiley Very Happy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 5

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35913 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1587 Solutions
I tend to favour @sheepdog's comment, where a shopper backtracks and replaces items upon finding a better/cheaper/preferred item later during the selection phase.

Haven't hotel minibars used similar techniques - weight, position etc, for decades?
Message 5 of 5