Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

50 Years Ago Today

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22942 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

To mark one of the greatest achievements in mankind's history.

Armstrong.jpg

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35213 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

Been listning to bits of Prof Brian Cox and various commentators on BBC R4 earlier - t'is quite interesting to note your average mobile phone probably far outstrips the compute capacity of all the control systems in Apollo 11 at the time!

Message 2 of 10

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

A wonderful achievement. I have been following it with great interest on every channel this week.

Also something that you remember so many things about what YOU were doing on the day they landed and then walked on the moon

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 10

MI5
  • 143430 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

2kb of RAM apparently @pgn 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 10

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

It's one of the last spectacular American achievements I remember just months before I arrived in England.

Sat glued to the TV set watching with amazement with millions of others round the world.

And just a few months later Nixon was elected as our next president. That determined my final decision to leave the States; my cruise to Southampton already booked. The election killed any doubts I had about coming here. And I've never looked back.

But I was very proud to be an American on this day 50 years ago. An amazing achievement. Pity we spoiled it all by electing "Tricky Dicky". My mum was visiting here when Nixon bowed out  I laughed, my mum cried with shame. She must be turning over in her grave with Trump as President. He makes Nixon look like a good guy, which he definitely wasn't.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 5 of 10

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10672 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions
Yes very surprising with that amount of RAM🤔

One Giant Leap for Mankind

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 6 of 10

jonsie
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

.... and we all remember exactly where we were when he uttered those immortal words.... 

I'm only surprised that having achieved such a brilliant feat that they stopped sending more astronauts back. 

Also astounding that no other nation has succeeded in doing what the USA have done. It just shows the magnitude of that happening. Roll on Mars... 

Message 7 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

I was sitting in the little rocking chair in the dining room of the family home ... glued to the tv & absolutely amazed at what I was seeing 

Message 8 of 10

liggerz87
Level 20: Radiant
  • 1279 Posts
  • 102 Topics
  • 15 Solutions
I know we're I was lol I wasn't even born haha
Message 9 of 10

jonsie
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics